Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Wet-brine question for turkey

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Wet-brine question for turkey

I have watched a bunch of videos on wet-brining turkeys. I bought a brining bucket and some brine mix from All Things BBQ. However, there is one question I have that hasn't been addressed in any of the videos: once the turkey is in the brine, does the whole thing fo into the refrigerator? I'm from Vermont, and when we brined fresh hams, we just put them in the pantry (which was normally between 30 and 38 degrees at his time of year).Not sure if the salt retards the growth of pathogens.

I store the brining bird in the garage which kind of mirrors your pantry temps.
    I only do a 8-10 hour brine so if the boid goes into the garage by 22:00 its out by 8 or 9, 10 the latest the next morning.
    Another member suggested putting your bucket in a cooler and pack ice around it if you think it may get too warm.

Comment

Depending on temps I just put in the garage. It is warmer this year so the birds are in 5 gallon buckets in a cooler outside surrounded by Ice.

Comment

The ideal brining temp is 36-38 degrees so your in good shape. The thing you want to be able to do is alarm if it gets to warm. Say 38-39-40 at which point you want to be able to add ice. I either dry brine these days or use large 2-4 gallon freezer lock bags, in the fridge.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
        No announcement yet.
        Working...
        X
        false
        ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
        false
        false
        {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
        Yes
        ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
        /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here