Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Chicken breast for a crowd

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Chicken breast for a crowd

A buddy of mine wants me to smoke 30 lbs of chicken breasts for a birthday party. When asked if I could do whole chickens and do pulled chicken, he adamantly said no. Only chicken breast, only sliced. So, what's the best way to impart a good flavor into boneless skinless chicken breast? Brine and/or inject? Also, will there be any added benefit to doing them at 250 degrees or should I just crank it up to 350 and get them done. I think I am going to use my Traeger. Any tips or tricks would be appreciated.

I would brine. If they are bone and skin on I would do 350 to try and crisp the skin.

Comment

250* will give more time for a smokey flavor to develop, but I don't know if it would make that much difference. When I do boneless/skinless breasts, I sear first then let my kettle go as hot as it wants. I pull at 158* which allows the breast to retain more moisture. I also try to dry brine for several hours first.
      With 30 Lbs, I don't think you want to sear, b ut I'd still cook hot and pull at 158* if I were doing this.

Comment

I would brine, pound flat, and grill them.

Comment

Boneless skinless breasts are in my opinion the hardest thing to make delectable. ESPECIALLY if they're the bargain bag thin cheap frozen ones. That might be an exercise in futility, as those are best cut up for fajitas or similar. If they're good plump fresh ones you stand a chance. I agree with brine, and I would wet brine to give it the best chance. I would cook HOT so that the cook is as quick as possible to avoid as much dehydration as possible. Low & slow, IMO, is pointless with them, since there's zero fat to render. Don't take them any higher than 155-160 max. It can be done but it's tricky.

Comment

What Huskee said. Plus it's tough to individually temp for doneness all the chicken breasts in 30 lbs, especially if they are in a range of sizes and thicknesses. But you can do it. Just pay close attention, because they can go from undone to overdone in a New York minute--well, maybe not that quickly, but when they get above 145 or so, it's a pretty quick ride to 155-160°, at least on my grill setup.

Kathryn

Comment

Huskee +1 for what he said.

Comment

make thighs instead and pretend they're breast meat.

Comment

FWIW when I cook +- 20# this is my take.

I buy frozen catering skinless boneless breasts in 10# bags that the bulk are a decent size and pre brined.
                  I use a vortex and get it screaming hot and put as many of them on still frozen. Let them go for about 10 minutes then add my rub. I monitor the smallest ones for doneness and remove when IT is reached and move probes to next size up until all are done then load the next batch.
                  Into the fridge and the next day they get sliced while cold and put into Bane-Marie for reheating. Takes a couple hours to reheat and there is moisture loss during this time. I try to gentle mix them around so that they heat up quicker and they get a chance to lie in the juices. I have added some chicken broth if needed. I add extra rub during this time.

What I have noticed is the outer surface of the breasts get a hardish skin that kind of softens during the reheating.
                  I use this method for wraps so sauce is also added before folding.

edit: Please see HouseHomey post below he makes some very valid observation with the above method and as an accomplished chef I head to his advice and abilities. I'm here to learn and that means sometimes that can hurt one's pride. Best thing is you don't go bumping your head over and over. Thx HH

Click image for larger version  Name:	20190909_205827.jpg Views:	15 Size:	1.36 MB ID:	771756​

Click image for larger version  Name:	20190909_205717.jpg Views:	15 Size:	1.04 MB ID:	771757​
                  Last edited by holehogg; November 23, 2019, 12:19 AM.

Comment

• HouseHomey
                    HouseHomey commented
                    Editing a comment
                    I assure you my culinary brother that I in no way was referencing you or your post. You sir are a risk taker, business owner, a real cook and bust hump every day with your own skin in the game. I have zero insight into your product availability, quality and standards. I would not know how to cook your dishes. Obviously what you do works.

I admire you sir.

why not chicken breast with rib in? then you get skin for flavor and helps keep in moisture....

Comment

I'd tell your buddy to go f*** himself.

Comment

• Andrrr
                      Andrrr commented
                      Editing a comment
                      That gave me a good chuckle

wet brine in pickle juice for an hour or two, slather in Mayo, rub, smoke over pecan at 325-350 until about 155°. Alternativly inject with a phosphate injection with salt sugar and msg in it instead of marinating. Follow the rest of the recipe.

Comment

I cook loads and loads of boneless skinless breasts. This picture has about 28lbs of them.

his buddy wants boneless skinless sliced and that’s his choice.

just keep it simple. I mark mine and cook to an IT of 145. The hotter you cook the lower you can cook your internal temp. These suckers rest up like nobody’s business. You can always cook them more but not uncook them.

depending on the menu I dry brine, marinate or wet brine etc.. in fact I have 18.5lbs on a rack now with a dry brined and a scratch rub of ancho, cascabel, garlic, paprika, cumin etc...

I cook mine at 320 with 10% moisture and a very low fan. I let them rest and slice. These will be thin and mixed with red pepper and onion for tacos. I’m holding 6 bags of skirt as well.

eliminate the margins of error. Stay away from first time gimmicks or short cuts. No injection, mayo, strange brines, sacred dance moves (tweeter), voodo dolls etc..

im in the business of knowing, not guessing.

can you cook? You know that right? Focus on flavor like dry brine and or tried and known marinade. Beware of brines and altered cooking times, weird textures, weird back end flavors, and moisture content while resting and cooking aka steaming.

also with new tricks and flavors comes allergies and other concerns.

focus on flavor and not overcooking.

The flavor and cook brings it home every time. Allow more time than you think and consider all of your plating, utensils, moving around pans, space and storage. Mise out the whole process not just the cook. The process is key to success.

the taste and cook may be great but no one will care as much if it’s late, ugly and served unattractively.

The whole process is key.

Click image for larger version  Name:	9D476DAE-A509-4CCB-81FE-E46D7E236CF2.jpeg Views:	0 Size:	3.50 MB ID:	771855

Last edited by HouseHomey; November 22, 2019, 08:42 PM.

Comment

• texastweeter
                        texastweeter commented
                        Editing a comment
                        what's wrong with my dance moves?

• fzxdoc
                        fzxdoc commented
                        Editing a comment
                        And the expert has spoken...

Thanks, HouseHomey , for the good advice.

Kathryn

comes out like this.
                      Attached Files

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                      No announcement yet.
                      Working...
                      X
                      false
                      ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                      false
                      false
                      {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                      Yes
                      ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                      /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here