Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Boneless Turkey

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Boneless Turkey

This looks like a very nice way to cook a thanksgiving turkey.
    anyone try this technique?

Boneless turkey... Kinda like boneless wings. Always wondered how those chickens fly.

Comment

Too much work for me. Easier to just put the bird on the grill, whole or spatchcocked. Looks tasty though.

Comment

• smokin fool
        smokin fool commented
        Editing a comment
        Have to agree with this thought I've only done them whole.
        Only tricky part to whole buzzards is making sure the meat in the leg/wing joints is completely cooked.
        I imagine that carcass would be chocked with meat for turkey soup.

I did that a few years ago, and may have used that video to get me going. My daughter's jaw was wired shut, and i made soup with the bones. She managed a couple bites anyway. It tasted great, and looked better. The soup I can't remember.

Comment

I haven’t done a turkey using that method but I do remove the breasts and leg quarters from the carcass. That way I season all sides of the meat and it cooks faster. Carving is easier too. The backbone and neck are used to make Meatheads gravy. I cut up the rest of carcass and stick it in a crockpot with some aromatics and water for good supply of overnight stock to use the next day in whatever side that calls for it.

Comment

Im going to try this on Thanksgiving. I will be putting it on my Lang though to add a little smoke. She loves running at 325 anyway. Great post.

Comment

I do this both for turkeys and for chickens. They cook up very easily, very evenly. I have a photo of a ballotine'd chicken here.

Here is a link to the video I used to learn this technique. The only difference between a chicken and turkey is that it's harder to get the wishbone out in the turkey, so I don't try to dig it out. I very much like Pepin's technique of re-positioning the breast filet, and also the way he ties the ballotine.

Comment

That’s beautiful! Great video!

Comment

The coolest part was watching him pull those leg tendons out with needlenose pliers. Now why didn't I think to do that when I made chicken leg lollipops? I just cut them off as good as I could. Next time, out will come my kitchen needlenose pliers.

Kathryn

Comment

There is something about the aesthetic of the whole bird that keeps me from wanting to try this. (Plus the extra work) Now that I have learned new techniques from this site, I can cook a pretty darn good whole turkey!
                  JLKA has a recipe for doing just the turkey breast like that. I might give it a go.

Comment

A method of de-boning a fowl comprises; making an incision along a leg bone, exposing a leg joint between the leg bone and the rest of the turkey, severing the leg joint; removing two segments of a wing; making an incision along a third segment of the wing; exposing a wing joint between the wing bone of the third segment and the rest of the turkey, severing the wing joint; making an incision along the back of the fowl, separating the flesh of the back from the backbone and ribcage; severing a joint between the thighbone and the rest of the fowl; making an incision along a shoulderbone; removing a ribcage from the rest of the fowl; separating flesh from a breastbone and removing the breastbone; removing a wishbone; making an incision along a thighbone, exposing and severing the thigh joint.

Comment

Comment

I've done something like that several times, but recently just stick with spatchcocking as the de-boning process is a PITA. In any event, I always left the drumsticks and wing bones in so the final result sort of looks like a turkey. Just tied it up and cooked it on the Fire Magic gasser using their rotisserie and turkey holder. Never bothered with stuffing. Tasted just like turkey, but the convenience of carving without bones didn't compensate for the extra prep time.

Now, if I want boneless turkey (like for cold cuts) I just bone out the breast, thighs and drumsticks and stuff the pieces with a little gelatin into a 88mm or 124mm fibrous sausage casing and SVQ it.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                        No announcement yet.
                        Working...
                        X
                        false
                        ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                        false
                        false
                        {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                        Yes
                        ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                        /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here