Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Smoking Boneless Turkey Breast Roast

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Smoking Boneless Turkey Breast Roast

Have my first Thanksgiving cook of the year coming up this weekend. Plan is to do three boneless turkey breast roasts in my Pit Barrel Cooker over briquettes and apple wood chunks. Two of them will be brined in Meat Church’s Bird Bath and then rubbed with Meat Church’s Honey Hog rub. Third one will be done with a homemade Cajun butter injection and Cajun rub. Plan is to let them go until I get an internal temp around 158-160 and plan for the carryover to bring them up to 165.

I just wanted to see if anyone had any tips, recommendations or other thoughts for my plan. It’s my first time cooking these boneless turkey breast roasts - the reason I’m using them instead of a whole turkey is they’re what my parents would make growing up. Since I’m cooking for them, I thought it would be cool to do a throwback to what they know but then put my own spin on it. That being said - if there’s something I’m missing or not thinking about while cooking these, would love any insight.

Skin on or not? If skin you will want 300F+. If no skin I’d go 225 to help temper overcooking and get more smoke.

Look at the usda pasteurization curves. 5 minutes at 150F is the same as 14 seconds at 165F. I’d pull at 150F and let carryover hold it there or above for 5 min. Or at least set a 5 minute timer when it hits 150. but that’s me, you have to do what you believe is safe.

lean meat will be very dry above 160.

thighs etc can go higher and still be juicy.

Comment

Inject and dry brine day in advance, use Mayo as binder, rub, and smoke over pecan. How I do it.

Comment

I agree with @Polaabear777 cook it at 350 for a crisp skin and take off at 150 for a safe temp and wrap in foil and a towel for carry over cooking. I also do a butter and Simon and Garfunkel rub, leave the run on the counter over night and put it under the skin when you pull it out of the refrig.
        Last edited by mountainsmoker; November 11, 2019, 11:09 AM.

Comment

Something to consider - buy 2 bone-in turkey breasts (basically the turkey with the thighs and drum sticks removed). Separate the breasts from the carcass. Remove the tenderloins from the breasts and save those for another use. Cut up the carcasses and put them in a crockpot on low setting (or stock pot) with some aromatics and herbs and make a ton of turkey stock overnight - you can use this stock in all of your recipes requiring stock the next day or just freeze what you don’t use. Dry brine the breasts with kosher salt and refrigerate uncovered overnight. Simon and Garfunkel rub those breasts, inject with oil or butter (or don’t inject at all) and smoke at 350 degrees until your desired doneness. They will be done in an hour or so.

Comment

I just cooked one of these boneless-skinless roast this past weekend along with a bone in one I didn’t brine but did inject and rubbed them down with some of Malcom Reeds "The Rub" then cooked on my 26” Weber kettle. I cooked at 365 degrees if I’m just going to cook the skinless roast I might do it low and slow just because I wouldn’t have any skin to worry about getting crispy.
            Click image for larger version

Name:	755B7B68-8B23-413A-B6F7-05C58CBC208B.jpeg
Views:	1000
Size:	173.2 KB
ID:	767873

Comment

• JGo37
              JGo37 commented
              Editing a comment
              Dadof3Illinois I love the probe grommet. Good job!

I'd do a test run because this is a first time item for you. Turkey day is a big day, and you won't need a valium if you've done a scouting cook.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
            No announcement yet.
            Working...
            X
            false
            ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
            false
            false
            {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
            Yes
            ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
            /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here