Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Fresh vs frozen turkey

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Fresh vs frozen turkey

I’m going to do my first fresh (never frozen) turkey this year in my WSM. Any difference in prep, brining or cooking times between fresh and frozen turkey? I have read a fresh turkey cooks faster for some reason. I could also use some tips on whether wet or dry brine would be best with a fresh bird.
    Thanks for any help you folks can provide.
    Al S.

I've done both, and really only did fresh the past 2 years, versus frozen most years before that. The main difference is not having to wait for an extended thaw. Cooking time would only be faster if the fresh turkey was not as cold in the center as the same sized previously frozen turkey.

A wet brine is in my personal opinion a big wet mess, and I usually don't have room for 5 gallon buckets of turkey+brine in my fridge near thanksgiving. Dry brining certainly takes up less refrigerator space, and in my opinion, is similar in effect. It seems I recall reading somewhere on AR that science has shown that the salt penetrates through the skin and into the meat over time, or maybe I dreamed that. Regardless, last years two 18 to 20 pound fresh turkeys from Costco were dry brined for a day, and generously rubbed inside and out with Lawry's poultry rub before going on the offset at 350F on Thanksgiving morning. The results were great!

The other thing is that the fresh turkeys probably need to be picked up within 1 week of Thanksgiving, but you could be buying the frozen ones now.

Here are last year's birds in progress. I spatchcocked them, which made them much easier to dry brine, rub, and fit in the fridge before cooking. I highly recommend spatchcocking if you can, as it shaves an hour or two off the cooking time. The foil off to the side in the picture on the smoker was foil I think I had brought out to wrap the tips of the legs in or something like that, to keep them from getting overdone.

Click image for larger version  Name:	D16EA694-B19B-42AB-9D1F-71FC597FAF59.jpeg Views:	0 Size:	1.59 MB ID:	766526Click image for larger version  Name:	87F085CD-A1C9-4B52-A37E-AAE70DDE89E9.jpeg Views:	0 Size:	2.45 MB ID:	766527Click image for larger version  Name:	F090048F-9470-4412-B3C9-4BCA6BBCEA9B.jpeg Views:	0 Size:	3.15 MB ID:	766528
    Last edited by jfmorris; November 8, 2019, 02:30 PM.

Comment

We've been using fresh turkeys the last 6-7 years, and always dry brine them. We've consistently gotten a good bird with that combination.

Comment

I've never done a fresh turkey so no opinion on that but I will vote for a wet brine and spatchcocking . Be sure to let us know how it turns out!

Comment

I wet brine mine in a 5 gal bucket and throw some ice cubes into the brine and leave in the garage overnight. Fresh 16# bird spotchcocked and Sweetwater Spice Classic Holiday Turkey Bath with salt and water for the brine. Then rub with Cattleman's Grill Ranchero Seasoning rub. On the Yoder at 275F with smoke tube for about 1 1/2 hours until breast hits 140F then rise temp to 375F. Until breast hits 160F and thighs 175F (about 3 hrs) and let rest.

Comment

Turkey is turkey. Despite anything to the contrary, I have wet brined for decades, just a force of habit. I tried dry brining one time and didn't see how there was any skin penetration. I did like the way it changed the skin itself (to a dry translucent state) but with the wet brine I can also introduce some aromatics. Good luck and have a great turkey day, I'm doin' prime rib

Comment

• texastweeter
            texastweeter commented
            Editing a comment
            prime rib is for Christmas....or Thursday...or any day!

Frozen turkeys are almost already wet brined at 10-15%, so you have the advantage to wet brine or dry brine your turkey as you want. Go to the recipe section and there are a good couple of recipes in it. They will cook the same time cook breast to 155 and thighs to 165 and hold for 30 minutes to an hour to let them increase in heat.
          Last edited by mountainsmoker; November 8, 2019, 03:14 PM. Reason: 30

Comment

• Troutman
            Troutman commented
            Editing a comment
            If you look around there are fresh frozen turkeys that don't have the massive brine injection. But you're right, most of the commercial ones are which is why I avoid those as well.

Put me in the wet brine column.
          Luckily my garage is cool enough I can store it outside over night if need be. Never had to add ice but thats a good idea for safety.
          Usually end up buying a commercial turkey, and the points made above about already being wet brined are spot on.
          So my brine contains less than a quarter of the salt required in the brine recipe I have.
          I cook em whole, have never tried the spotchcocking a buzzard.
          Good luck.

Comment

Dry brine all the way. I sprinkle salt on skin AND under the skin. Lots of salt penetration that way.

There's nothing like accidentally tipping over a few gallons of salmonella-laden brining water onto the counter, cabinets, gel floor mats and floor to make one a believer in dry brining. You can probably figure out how I came to that conclusion.

Kathryn

Comment

• mountainsmoker
              mountainsmoker commented
              Editing a comment
              I feel your pain. my wife didn't wait for me to lift the pail it was brining in. 20lb bird +30 lbs water went every where. That is 3 gallons of water.
              Last edited by mountainsmoker; November 9, 2019, 11:37 AM.

• smokin fool
              smokin fool commented
              Editing a comment
              I do the transfer in the garage or the driveway cause knocking the pail over is right up my alley.
              If I drop the buzzard on the ground....that's added dry rub....

Thanks, everyone, Happy Thanksgiving to you and those dear to you!

Al

Comment

• Al S.
              Al S. commented
              Editing a comment
              What is the longest time the bird should be dry-brined? I’ll be picking up my bird from the butcher on Tuesday evening and want to have it prepped to go in the smoker early on Thursday morning.

Al

• Red Man
              Red Man commented
              Editing a comment
              The Tuesday before thanksgiving? The longest any meat can be dry brined is equal to how long it can be refrigerated without spoiling, maybe a little longer due to the salt. The Tuesday before thanksgiving is an excellent time to start dry brining.

Announcement

Collapse
          No announcement yet.
          Working...
          X
          false
          ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
          false
          false
          {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
          Yes
          ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
          /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here