Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Turkey breast tip for smoking

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Turkey breast tip for smoking

Hi folks im pretty new to smoking. I did a smoker in a 55gallons drum barrel like the hunsaker, I have a nice and fresh turkey breast from my backyard and wondering the best way to smoke it and be really moist. I look around to know if I could dry rub for a day or wet rub for a couple of day or for a week? Anyone have a stunning recipe or tricks?

I’m not much on Turkey, however, I imagine someone will be along soon to help you out with a suggestion or two. I will say, however, welcome to The Pit from Hays, Kansas!

Comment

Dry brine and inject at least 24 hours before. Use Mayo as a binder and apply your favorite salt free rub just before putting it in the pit. Smoke over pecan at 325° until internal is 160°. Pull carve and serve.

Comment

I do several a year. Since this is a nice fresh one with no grocery store brining, do an over night salt rub of 1/2 tsp per lb to dry brine it in fridge. Then use Meathead Simon & Garfunkel rub mixed with a stick of butter probably about a table spoon of the rub. Use unsalted butter. Let it sit on the counter over night for the herbs to blend through butter. As your lighting the fire pull the breast out of the refrigerator and rub the herb butter under the skin. If you need to pin it back down with some skewers of tooth picks.

Watch your temps. Don't let the breast go over 160, let it rest lightly covered with foil and carry over cooking will take it to 165. Cook it at 325 - 350 for a crisp skin.

I use cherry wood.
        Last edited by mountainsmoker; November 4, 2019, 12:55 PM.

Comment

• grantgallagher
          grantgallagher commented
          Editing a comment
          TheBuck no, you will not need to rinse of a dry brine. The above is right about what i would do. When he says let it sit on the counter overnight...im pretty sure he means in the fridge uncovered @mountainsmoker

Also, if its skin on, try to get the rub under and over the skin for max flavor.
          Last edited by grantgallagher; November 3, 2019, 10:23 PM.

• Oakgrovebacon
          Oakgrovebacon commented
          Editing a comment
          The overnight on the counter is just for the butter and rub for the butter to soften.

• mountainsmoker
          mountainsmoker commented
          Editing a comment
          Please only the butter on the counter over night. not the turkey. It absolutely goes in the fridge.

Welcome to The Pit.

Our government now sez that 7-log10 lethality is reached instantly at 158* F. So I now pull poultry at that temp. There is always a little carryover anyway, so I'm not worried. It will be moister at the lower temp, and there will be no pink.

Comment

I just did a turkey breast yesterday. I did a 6 hour Wet Brine and then Spatchcocked it before taking it to 160-165 in my PBC running around 350. The wet brine and spatchcock method seems to keep it moist IMO.

Comment

• Smoking77
            Smoking77 commented
            Editing a comment
            After the wet brine, do you let the skin dry out, uncovered in the fridge for a little? Or do you just go from wet brine to cooker?

• Skip
            Skip commented
            Editing a comment
            I just dried it with paper towels and thought of the skin as a protector for the meat since we don't eat the skin. I know it's good but we choose not to eat it.

• Smoking77
            Smoking77 commented
            Editing a comment
            Fedex me the skin when it crisps up, please. Thank you.

I smoked a whole turkey a few weeks ago, all the above advise is extremely helpful.
          Personally I probably cut the salt in my brine by 2/3's from what others are saying, brining is something you will have to experiment with to find your go to mixture.
          I will add I spritzed mine this a mixture of apple juice and BBQ sauce every 45 mins or so.

Comment

• Skip
            Skip commented
            Editing a comment
            I agree on the saltiness. I've had the turkey get too salty with an overnight brine so I've just tried cutting the time somewhat. I am kind of sold on the wet brine for turkey. I dry brine chicken breasts, beef, and pork so I should experiment with that and turkey sometime.

I have a 55 gal. Drum too. All good advice already stated here. Around 350 works best for me.

I don't know if you've figured out your charcoal yet but I use a fully lit chimney of charcoal dumped on top of one layer of unlit charcoal in my charcoal basket. Don't use any water or water bowl.

I pre heat until I get temps and smoke settled , which is at least a half hour or more.

Don't over do your wood chunks. Cherry or apple work best for me.

Did you build your own smoker? Do you have pics?

Welcome to the Pit!
          Last edited by Mudkat; November 4, 2019, 08:05 AM.

Comment

Welcome to the pit. I do whole turkeys every couple of months; agree with everything here except let it sit on the counter overnight. I would say let it sit uncovered in the fridge overnight dry brined. Last one I did was injected, so I didn't dry brine, and I used butter and Oakridge Game Bird and Poultry rub. No drum, but I used a Weber Smokey Mountain running about 300. Took around 3 - 3 1/2 hours to get to 160; carry over got it up to 165. Came out pretty good.

Comment

• mountainsmoker
            mountainsmoker commented
            Editing a comment
            Only butter on the counter, please. Bird in fridge, please. I have added clarified that dry brine is in fridge.

• klflowers
            klflowers commented
            Editing a comment
            mountainsmoker, OK. I must have missed that. Soften the butter, right.

• mountainsmoker
            mountainsmoker commented
            Editing a comment
            Yes use room temp butter add the herbs and leave it on the counter over night

Announcement

Collapse
        No announcement yet.
        Working...
        X
        false
        ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
        false
        false
        {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
        Yes
        ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
        /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here