Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Crispy Chicken Skin

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Crispy Chicken Skin

I want to add baking powder to the skin of the chicken thighs I’m smoking for dinner. Can someone give me idea how much to add, and should it go on the top or bottom of the skin? Thanks.

These should help. Just be aware that some people find that this imparts a bitter, off taste to the skin. I'm fortunately not one of them.

Comment

• Randy-Phx
      Randy-Phx commented
      Editing a comment
      The 2nd recipe says to let it rest uncovered for 12-24 hours in the fridge. I have about 2 hrs 15 minutes until I put them on the smoker. What do you think?

You might try adding to just a piece or two the first time in case you don't like it. It doesn't add any off taste that I can taste, and it's possible some of those experiencing a bad taste used soda instead of powder...

Comment

• Randy-Phx
      Randy-Phx commented
      Editing a comment
      Is 4 parts rub to 1 part baking powder a good ratio?

Nope, I used baking powder, and I didn't like it. Not only did I think the flavor was a little off, but I didn't like the texture either. I really can't explain it very well, only to say it didn't agree with me...

Comment

• shify
      shify commented
      Editing a comment
      Same. I found the skin to be more papery than shatteringly crisp. I stick with regular old salt dry brine and leave uncovered overnight to get crispy skin.

• Mudkat
      Mudkat commented
      Editing a comment
      Me too. It didn't add to my cook, it tooketh away.

I've always used baking soda instead of powder. Powder contains extras you don't need here, namely an acid which counteracts the high pH you want...since it's the bicarb in the soda that does it. Mix it in the salt when dry brining, 4:1 salt to soda. For more see Doc Blonder's writeup: https://genuineideas.com/ArticlesIndex/wings.html

EDIT: I haven't done this myself, but I suppose you could mix yourself up a seprate "poultry dry brine" as per above. Sprinkle it on whenever you do chicken, turkey, wings, etc. Then you don't have to calculate anything until the next batch of PDB.

Comment

• mountainsmoker
      mountainsmoker commented
      Editing a comment
      pkadare can you provide a link to Kenji's method. I have looked and cannot found it.

• pkadare
      pkadare commented
      Editing a comment
      Read the thread.

• klflowers
      klflowers commented
      Editing a comment
      Huskee, nope, I used baking soda not powder. I just took a look in the pantry.

I've tried both. The family hated baking soda. They don't notice a thing when I add 1 tsp baking powder (non-aluminum) per tablespoon of rub. Which is what I do every time chicken skin and I get up close and personal.

Kathryn

Comment

RonB Took your advice and added a little bit to just 2 thighs. I hope we can tell the difference.

Comment

• RonB
        RonB commented
        Editing a comment
        Lookin' forward to the results.

We couldn’t tell the difference. I guess I should have added more baking powder.

Comment

• pkadare
        pkadare commented
        Editing a comment
        If you only had 2 hours to let them dry out in the fridge, I'd think that was more likely the issue.

• Bkhuna
        Bkhuna commented
        Editing a comment
        Adding more baking powder isn't the answer. It's the time required for the chemical reaction to take place.

"Then—and this is key—let it rest, uncovered, in the refrigerator for 12 to 24 hours. This resting period doesn't just give the baking powder time to form all those little bubbles; it also lets the salt do its thing, dry-brining the meat for more intensely flavored, better-seasoned results."

Here is a link advocating cornstarch. I have used this on wings successfully. https://www.bonappetit.com/story/cor...ce-crispy-meat

Comment

I am one for not using any additives. I air dry them with a dry brine over night in the fridge on a tray with wire rack and cook with a dry rub at 350-400 on the grill. I will turn the ones in the fridge a couple of times if I remember.

Comment

• hogdog6
          hogdog6 commented
          Editing a comment
          This I how I roll also. I've tried both powder and soda both gave an off taste / texture to me.
          But I'm also one of those that thinks cilantro tastes like soap. So what do I know. 😜

I always wonder if by crispy skin folks really mean bite-through skin. In that case dry brine definitely helps and gotta crank up the temps - for me that means around 350 - 375. Just my humble opinion.

Comment

Has anyone used a heat gun or Searzall to crisp the skin? Experimented with a turkey over the weekend on the PBC. I thought the skin was a little rubbery. I was thinking why not just zap the skin with a torch like device to crisp it. There is a video on Youtube that recommends this for sous vide chicken. Thoughts?

Comment

• hogdog6
            hogdog6 commented
            Editing a comment
            I've tried it without success

24 hr. Dry brine under, over skin. Pre heat high heat work best for me. Although I don't shoot for crackly crispy anyway so to each their own.

Baking powder never did much for me. 2 cents.

One more thought, I don't like rubbery skin either. I like more on the crisp side eith still some juice in it. Mmmm....
          Last edited by Mudkat; October 24, 2019, 05:59 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Randy-Phx View Post
            I want to add baking powder to the skin of the chicken thighs I’m smoking for dinner. Can someone give me idea how much to add, and should it go on the top or bottom of the skin? Thanks.
            Gently, and not intended as anything other than a helpful comment: learn to cook chicken well without adding unnecessary ingredients to do a job that correct cooking technique would do for you without introducing a "chemical" taste.

Chicken can be cooked naturally with crisp skin without adding baking powder, or anything else. At some point in learning to cook, learned technique trumps "magic" ingredients.

Comment

• Bobmcgahan
              Bobmcgahan commented
              Editing a comment
              I think your post might be more helpful if you identified the "correct cooking technique" to obtain crispy skin when smoking chicken or turkey. That, I thought, was part of the point of the thread.

• TBoneJack
              TBoneJack commented
              Editing a comment
              No, re-read the OP's post. He specifically asked whether or not to add powder to chicken in order to get crispy skin. The question itself indicates that he could benefit from technique knowledge, which can be found all over the internet via search.
              Last edited by TBoneJack; October 25, 2019, 12:15 PM.

Announcement

Collapse
          No announcement yet.
          Working...
          X
          false
          ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
          false
          false
          {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
          Yes
          ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
          /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here