Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Canadian Thanksgiving

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Canadian Thanksgiving

Thanksgiving up here in the sticks this weekend so got this here 6.62kg buzzard
    I’m going to smoke on Sunday.
    Leaving it to thaw overnight then brine on Sat
    Attached Files

Happy Thanksgiving!

Comment

Happy Thanksgiving to all our Canadian friends.

Comment

That's a 61 year old turkey? Hehe, Happy Thanksgiving!

Comment

• holehogg
          holehogg commented
          Editing a comment
          Duh! In case you weren't aware that's how long it takes a Flamingo to transform to a Turkey

• HawkerXP
          HawkerXP commented
          Editing a comment
          Well. Darn. We don't have Flamingo's or for that matter, Flamingo Dancers here in Virginia. holehogg

Finally got the buzzard in a bucket of brine
        Attached Files

Comment

What temp do you take flamingo to?

Comment

• pkadare
            pkadare commented
            Editing a comment
            Just until it is pink.

• smokin fool
            smokin fool commented
            Editing a comment
            Same as buzzard, aiming for 170 in the breast meat.
            Should be a 5-6 hour smoke if I can maintain 250-275 in the Keg.

Happy Canuck Thanksgiving everyone!

A while back i started cutting 3 approx 2"x1" holes along the spine of the bird. This gets a traditional bird to release its drippings while it cooks, preventing the "bath" that otherwise gathers in the inner cavity, and generally makes for a bird as close to spatchcocked as one can get while still keeping the bird looking like Grandma's. I had posted some photos on this site a few years ago, though can't find them now to repost.

Good luck with yours cooks!

Evan

Comment

• smokin fool
            smokin fool commented
            Editing a comment
            I had really good luck with this metheod last Christmas, whether I can duplicate that smoke is a different story....
            Pics or last rites to follow....

Happy Thanksgiving to all of you in Canada!! Have a wonderful day cooking for Family and Friends.

Comment

All dressed and in the nest
            Wifes peed off with the Flamingo thing
            told her it’s too late now I brined it but
            should be the same as turkey
            Its a boid
            Attached Files

Comment

At 4 hours just gave it a spritz
              Kegs holding in the 260 range
              Inside temp at 147
              Attached Files
              Last edited by smokin fool; October 13, 2019, 03:44 PM. Reason: Typo

Comment

• holehogg
                holehogg commented
                Editing a comment
                Cool contrast the bird and background ☺

• smokin fool
                smokin fool commented
                Editing a comment
                Hey yeah, when the boids the same colour as the fence DONE

• FireMan
                FireMan commented
                Editing a comment
                Man did I just learn somethin. All those fancy schmancy chefs & their thing between the finger & thumb or when the juice runs clear, not here buddy. It’s done when it’s the same color as the fence. Touché! 🕶

Hey that looks great!

So for Canadian Thanksgiving today in Toronto, I'm doing a 12lb turkey today on Weber Performer 22" on the Rotisserie. First time for a turkey with the rotisserie unit. Targeting 325F and thinking about 3 hours. Any suggestions on the timing? 3 hours sound about right?

Thanks

Comment

I've never tried turkey on the rotisserie so can offer no advice there.
                I would give it more time, mine got caught in a wicked stall for almost 3 hours.
                I would advise some kind of water pan for moisture.
                Didn't help I ran low on fuel at the 5 hour mark and had to reload.
                Spritze it with an apple juice BBQ sauce mixture every 45-60 mins.
                Last edited by smokin fool; October 14, 2019, 09:12 AM.

Comment

Well....didn't get a pic of the final product as my life was on the line because of the length of this cook....
                  Originally planned for a 6 hour at 250 to an inside temp of 180
                  Didn't happen, at 4 hours or so hit a wicked stall would not pass 140 inside temp.
                  At 5.5 hours ran low on fuel and had to put cook on hold to add charcoal.
                  Cranked open dampers and got unit up over 300 to speed up cook.
                  At 7.5 with an inside temp of 156 was told in no uncertain terms the turkey was done, crave it, serve it....
                  In the end it was delicious, breast meat was done, still moist with a nice smoke ring.
                  Dark meat was the same, the only parts of the bird I wasn't happy with where the hip and shoulder joints.
                  It seems the heat had a hard time getting in there, the meat was done but not perfect as I would have liked it.
                  Family and guests loved it so all in all a good cook.
                  Learned a lot, it was very different from the turkey I cooked last Christmas.

Comment

• pkadare
                    pkadare commented
                    Editing a comment
                    180 degrees as measured where? To me, that is way over done. Turkey is done and safe when it hits 165 in the inner thigh and the thickest part of the breast. I'd also have cooked it around 325. Glad you and your family enjoyed it though.

• holehogg
                    holehogg commented
                    Editing a comment
                    That's why we try different things. To cook enjoy and learn.
                    Sounds like everything turned out bar the timing and we all know that is always a big cooking challenge.

• smokin fool
                    smokin fool commented
                    Editing a comment
                    pkadare I don't know where the 180 came from now to be honest.
                    At the end of the day it may have been info overload, had so many temps in my head I didn't know what I was talking about.
                    The Keg was pretty consistent yesterday running in the 260-280 range so didn't play with temps to much in case it ran away from me and I couldn't get it cooled down again.
                    Cook and learn

Happy Thanksgiving to you and yours. The board looks good to me! at least it sounds like your guests and family loved it. And hey, learning something new is an added bonus.

Comment

Happy Thanksgivin Day, all yall up yonder!

Hope a great time with Family, Friends, an great foods was had by all!

Comment

• Nate
                      Nate commented
                      Editing a comment
                      +1

• klflowers
                      klflowers commented
                      Editing a comment
                      What he said.

Announcement

Collapse
                  No announcement yet.
                  Working...
                  X
                  false
                  ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                  false
                  false
                  {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                  Yes
                  ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                  /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here