Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Smoked Turkey Breast

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Smoked Turkey Breast

Hello everyone,

I have a question for those who smoke these often. I recently bought another Weber Kettle to dedicate to Slow N Sear (ing). I have a Lang Smoker, Several Weber's and a Rec Tec pellet smoker. Love them all but I love new toys. I bought 4 pounds of Boars Head honey turkey meat from the deli counter and took it home and smoked it on the Weber's inaugural run. Loved it and it turned out great. Sliced it and took it to work for lunches this week. I cant complain...My question is.. If I bought a real turkey breast and smoked it would it turn out at moist and good as this deli counter meat? I know I would probably have to brine it before hand but I am looking at different ways to do it. This was super easy and quick to set up and get to temp and smoke. I have a feeling that a real turkey breast would dry out after slicing. Thanks for everyone's input!
    Attached Files

I have started buying frozen whole turkey breasts and filleting the meat off the rib cage once it's thawed, then smoke each half. Something like Butterball works just fine, and no brine required. It turns out every bit as moist as the deli meat version, as long as you don't overcook it.

I use Aaron Franklin's method for smoked turkey breast, and it is always a big hit: Just don't go into detail about how much butter is involved when discussing this with the "low fat" folks.
    Last edited by Steve R.; October 1, 2019, 12:46 PM.

Comment

• JoeSousa
      JoeSousa commented
      Editing a comment
      I have wanted to try Franklin's turkey breast. I had it at his restaurant and it was my favorite meat behind the brisket. I need to make it a point to add a turkey breast to the grocery list soon.

• Steve R.
      Steve R. commented
      Editing a comment
      JoeSousa, I modify the recipe slightly by adding granulated garlic and a bit of paprika to give it a little more color. But it's great as-is.

Or if you have a sous vide machine, try it. It turns out the best turkey breast I have ever eaten. 145 for around 3 hours, then on the grill at warp 10 just to get it brown.

I do smoke whole turkeys using Meatheads recipe though. I am sure you can adapt it just for breasts:

Our grilled and smoked turkey recipe and tutorial make your ordinary holiday meal extraordinary! Here's everything you need to know about making the ultimate holiday bird. We also bust some myths, discuss side dishes, and so much more!

Comment

While I don't SMOKE turkey I do use a marinade the makes turkey so good I have to try hard NOT to eat it. It will stay in the fridge a week. A church in Manti Ut used this for a money maker once a year in the past and people lined up down the block to get in a gym filled with tables you could hardly get between.
      1 cup soy sauce
      1 cup oil
      1/2 tsp. horseradish
      1/2 T. garlic granules
      12 oz. 7-up or Sprite
      turkey breast cut into LARGE pieces

Put this in a tightly covered bowl or zip lock bag and stir it every hour or so and let it set over night. When you go to cook, each time you need to turn it, Cut it into thinner strips and dunk it into the marinade before putting it back on the grill. If you don't over cook it, I believe you will love this as much as THOUSANDS of us love it.

Comment

I've only smoked a turkey once, for Xmas, and had no complains about dryness at all.
        Probably one of the moister boids I've ever cooked or smoked.
        Like klflowers I used Meatheads recipe, cooking it whole and aced the cook if I do say so myself....
        However, used to much kosher salt when I brined it which caused a few comments and increased wine consumption....
        Lotsa Ubers that night.

Comment

I have been doing turkey breasts for 20+ years. I don't brine any more as all of the one's I get in the grocery stores are prebrined. If you get one that isn't then please do so. First I smoke at 300 degrees this takes about 2-3 hours at that temp for a 8lb breast. I like cherry wood for my smoke. I do a rub of butter and Simon and Garfunkle herbs under the skin. Finally, and this is most important, take the breast off the heat at 155, wrap in foil and two heavy towels and allow to rest for an hour. The carry over cooking will take them to 165 and they will be moist as can be. I don't bother with a cooler but you can, it's just another piece of equipment you don't need.
          Last edited by mountainsmoker; October 1, 2019, 11:45 PM.

Comment

• klflowers
            klflowers commented
            Editing a comment
            I am going to have to try that. I stopped smoking just breasts cause I couldn't keep them moist

I literally just did this as a dry run for Thanksgiving. On a kettle with SnS. It came out super moist (even after cutting) even tho the cooker ran hot as I was getting used to a new brand of charcoal (B&B briquettes). I’ve had it for sandwiches the last two days for lunch.

Comment

Just got my local grocery store flyers today. One of them Ingles which is based in NC has Honeysuckle White breasts on sale for $1.28 yes that is $1.28. It is one of my favorite brands. I just stocked the freezer with ribs on sale so can only get one of these to do over the weekend. I hope you all can find them on sale also.

Comment

If you use pink (curing) salt and cure the turkey breast before smoking, it will be similar in taste and texture (but better) than deli meat. I often do a turkey pastrami for thanksgiving alongside a regular turkey, and it is like a 1000x better version of deli meat

Comment

• shify
                shify commented
                Editing a comment
                IowaGirl - I've only used fresh, not injected, turkey breast, so do not know how to modify if you used an already injected breast.

jumbo7676 - I generally use the same as regular pastrami, check Meathead's recipe, but the cure time is greatly reduced. Maybe 2 days. I think I've posted my recipe here before and I'll try to find it later.

• Backroadmeats
                Backroadmeats commented
                Editing a comment
                shify I couldn't agree more!! I was going to post the same thing. I I cure will give it a smoother texture and the salt will help it retain moisture. Throw some pepper and garlic powder on for a rub and you have some delicious turkey pastrami..

• IowaGirl
                IowaGirl commented
                Editing a comment
                jumbo7676 -- here's the turkey pastrami method written up by shify -- https://pitmaster.amazingribs.com/fo...122#post588122

Well first step got my Honeysuckle White turkey breast. 8.3 lbs in the refrig defrosting.

Have a good weekend.
              Attached Files
              Last edited by mountainsmoker; October 4, 2019, 03:27 PM.

Comment

My two cents worth is what they said and go low wood or no wood on the breasts. The charcoal does a good job on its own on a bird.

Comment

• mountainsmoker
                  mountainsmoker commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Ah no my friend, I will do at least 2 hours of cherry wood smoke on it.

Well the bird is on the Weber set in smoking form. On for two hours and up close to taking it off time. On smoke till now. About 2 hours. Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0819.JPG
Views:	3448
Size:	187.9 KB
ID:	753161

Comment

And the final bird opened up, all 8.3 lbs. of juicy smoked tender breast meat. Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0820.JPG
Views:	3445
Size:	177.5 KB
ID:	753187

Comment

• klflowers
                    klflowers commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Man, that is a good looking turkey breast. I need to do one.

Announcement

Collapse
                No announcement yet.
                Working...
                X
                false
                ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                false
                false
                {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                Yes
                ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here