Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Turkey Breasts

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Turkey Breasts

I smoked a bone-in turkey breast over the weekend. Grilla, running at 220, Cherry pellets, light rub, water pan in the chamber. Monitored both the grill and the bird temps. Took about 2.5 hrs. Moist and very tasty, but the skin was hard and dried out. OK, if I rub with oil will that fix this, or is there something else I missed?

I have started filleting the meat off the rib cage and ditching the skin when I cook turkey breast. It turns out consistently good this way. I just take a slightly modified Aaron Franklin approach and apply some salt/pepper/garlic powder and a light sprinkle of paprika for appearance. Cook at 260 until light golden brown, then cook the rest of the way skin side down in a double wrap of foil with a stick of butter.

Comment

You can just cover with foil as soon as it gets to the color you want. I cook mine with a Simon & Garfunkle mixed into a stick of butter. I then place it under the skin. The skin does not seem to dry out that way. I actually like a crispy skin. I also like to smoke my bird in cherry. I usually cook at 300 though. It takes less time and may be why I don't get a crisp skin. I also let it rest 15 min. covered loosely with foil to let the heat of the bird stabilize through out.
      Last edited by mountainsmoker; August 26, 2019, 06:19 PM.

Comment

I will always do poultry, turkey or chicken, at 350+. Especially breast meat, the quicker cook in my experience lends itself well to lean meat. Stays juicy, doesn't have as long in the cooker to dehydrate the skin or the meat...just don't take it past 150-155. IMO it should be wet brined beforehand for best results, if not injected.

Comment

• mountainsmoker
          mountainsmoker commented
          Editing a comment
          Agree Huskee. Just don't brine if the breast is already injected or has added brine added at the slaughter house. Most turkeys bought at the grocery store are have a 10 or 15% brine added. Few are not. Check with a butcher to see if they can get a fresh one in that has not been brined.
          Last edited by mountainsmoker; August 26, 2019, 06:46 PM.

• Huskee
          Huskee commented
          Editing a comment
          The 'solution' that's added isn't always the salt that's added, no one knows the amount of that solution that is actually salt. Best to check the Nutrition Facts label and look at the sodium. If the label shows 200mg sodium or less, proceed with brining, if it's 300mg or above, be cautious or skip brining. mountainsmoker

Announcement

Collapse
      No announcement yet.
      Working...
      X
      false
      ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
      false
      false
      {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
      Yes
      ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
      /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here