Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Suggestions for getting crispy skin on birds with thick skin

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Suggestions for getting crispy skin on birds with thick skin

A few months ago, I bought two heritage chickens. Roasted the first one last month. Spatchcocked and dry brined on and under the skin. Also used poultry seasoning and pepper. I noticed the skin was much much thicker than other birds. I poked holes in the skin like I always do, but it was not easy puncturing the skin. I usually do birds at 450, but the purveyor said to start these off lower, so I did. 350 for about an hour, then 450 for about another hour. Pulled it from the oven when it was ready. The meat was delicious, but the skin was still super tough. Basically inedible. I am planning on cooking the 2nd one this weekend on my WSM. Ideas on getting crispy skin on this one? As always, thanks.

I always cook chicken as hot as my kettle will go. One suggestion would be to make sure the skin is separated from the meat and put some course herbs/spices under the skin so hot air can get under the skin. I'm not sure if you can do it in your WSM, but I also sear the skin first to get a head start on crisping the skin.

Good luck.

Comment

• Smoking77
      Smoking77 commented
      Editing a comment
      Yeah, I always separate the skin. And the herbs I put under are dried, so pretty coarse. But I never thought of searing a little at the beginning of the cook. I could do it in my WSM. If I'm going as hot as it'll go, I can put the grate on the charcoal ring and sear, then assemble the cooker for indirect high heat. Thanks!

Thicker skin usually needs to be slit or scraped on the underside to remove excess fat.

Comment

• Smoking77
      Smoking77 commented
      Editing a comment
      Okay, gotcha. I'll give that a try, too. Thanks!

Although I like to wet brine my poultry, I’ve found when I salt brine overnight the skin gets very translucent. That and high heat make it crispy. You might want to dry brine and leave in the fridge to dry out over night. That might help.

Comment

• Smoking77
      Smoking77 commented
      Editing a comment
      I do usually keep in the fridge dry brined and uncovered for 24 to 48 hours. I was really surprised that it didn't crisp. Going to take the advice RonB and Jerod Broussard and see what happens. Maybe this time I'll wet brine and then let it dry out in the fridge 24-48 hours to see what changes. Thanks!

Two hour cook for chicken at 350. Wow!! That’s a long time.

Are you using wood? Try it in your convection oven and do your next one on the Weber to see if you can duplicate it. I’m not sure about the WSM but do they have good air flow.

Airflow IMHO is underrated when it comes to poultry.

airflow, clean heat, dry brine and consistent heat are your friend.

also what are you using to monitor temps?
    Last edited by HouseHomey; July 3, 2019, 05:09 PM.

Comment

• Smoking77
      Smoking77 commented
      Editing a comment
      HouseHomey Oh wow. Complete typo on my part. Was NOT an hour at 450. Much much less. Don’t actually remember the timing anymore, but I was using my indoor oven. Don’t usually do birds on my WSM but wanted to give it a try. Thanks!

I make a blend of parsley, sage, rosemary and thyme with a stick of butter. Then loosen the skin, separating the skin from the meat works well to get crisp skin. Cook at a high temp of 350-375. The butter bastes the breasts and thighs, while crisping the skin. The high temp is the key. Start breast side down for an hour so the butt and back get some good smoke the turn it over. On my Weber I turn it breast away from the coals and in about 2-3 hours I have a great crispy bird. I use Cherry wood and it produces a nice sweet meat, but use your preference. In my Weber I shoot to get a 16lb bird.

Comment

If all else above, listed by rational, reasonable, multi-experienced, an professional cooks / chefs fails ya...
      Torch...

Jus sayin...

Comment

• Backroadmeats
        Backroadmeats commented
        Editing a comment
        And there you go!!! Leave it to Mr. Bones for a logical easy solution that makes me go.... Huh. Why didnt I think of that...

• mountainsmoker
        mountainsmoker commented
        Editing a comment
        A fine idea, my man LOL

Thanks for the help, everyone! I've never cooked a bird on my WSM hot and fast. To get it to 350+, will I need to take the water pan out? Or can I keep it in (with no water in the bowl, of course)?

Comment

I’ve had this exact same problem with heritage turkeys. I was running at 325, but latterly it’s better at 350-370. Still not perfect.

Comment

Scraping the underside seems like it should work, but seems also like a pain.

I’ll have to do some testing with a torch. Whether it works or not, will be fun.

Comment

• Smoking77
            Smoking77 commented
            Editing a comment
            Polarbear777 When I roasted it the first time, I finished it off under the broiler to try to crisp the skin. It didn't work. I took it out of the oven because the skin was starting to burn. Although a pain, I think scraping is the way to go. Happy I tried their chicken, but won't be doing it again.

Announcement

Collapse
        No announcement yet.
        Working...
        X
        false
        ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
        false
        false
        {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
        Yes
        ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
        /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here