Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Yardbird for the one I love!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Yardbird for the one I love!

I haven't had time to do much on the smoker or grill these past several weeks, so when today presented the opportunity, I did chicken since that is my wife's favorite. Cooked on the pellet grill at 225 for about an hour to get some smoke to them, then cranked up to 350 and pulled at 160. The skin could have been crispier, but the birds were super moist and flavorful.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20190623_163454.jpg
Views:	169
Size:	225.1 KB
ID:	699689

A part of why I haven't had time to cook was my wife encouraged me to get a different toy - she'd made the observation that she thought the only time I look happy is when I'm either smoking meat or driving. Or at least when I was driving the Miata I had years ago. She encouraged me to look at getting one again, and after some searching I found one in Arlington - so over Memorial Day I flew up there and drove this puppy home!

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20190623_175526 (2).jpg
Views:	161
Size:	140.8 KB
ID:	699690

I'm blessed and thankful for my wife! Whatever she wants cooked, well, that's what it is gonna be!

Nice car AND cook. Crispy skin is overrated.

Comment

• JeffJ
      JeffJ commented
      Editing a comment
      Agreed regarding crispy skin. I don't eat the skin so it's purely eye candy. Visual is part of the overall dining experience but it's the least important IMO.

How long was the drive & how was the drive. Nuthin like a fine ride, especially in a driving mochine.

Comment

• AmosMoses01
      AmosMoses01 commented
      Editing a comment
      It is about 3 hours, all interstate from Arlington. I was so jazzed - my daily driver is a half ton pickup, so this thing is like a go kart. 🙂

Dang man a fine nice ride. I have had a Triumph TR6 and several Porsche's. There is never something better than a good car.

Comment

• AmosMoses01
      AmosMoses01 commented
      Editing a comment
      Thanks, it definitely reminds me of an old friend's TR7, small and agile! Super fun!

Congrats on both the car and a fine wife.

Comment

• AmosMoses01
      AmosMoses01 commented
      Editing a comment
      Thank you sir!

I like 'em both.

Comment

Beautiful car. My wife keeps hinting about the Miata RF but I can't even squeeze into one.

Comment

• AmosMoses01
        AmosMoses01 commented
        Editing a comment
        Thanks! I’m only 5’ 8”, and I found the RF to be really tight... not that the soft top is much better with headroom, but every little bit helps. The flying buttresses of the RF also made visibility seem more difficult to me. The Miata I had years ago was a 2012 power retractable hard top, which was really best of all top worlds. I considered getting another of those, but found this low mileage 2017 that still could get the factory warranty and went soft top.

Nice birds nice wheels brilliant wife.

Comment

• AmosMoses01
        AmosMoses01 commented
        Editing a comment
        Thank you sir!

Nice. You got a single sister in law? Wait, I am already married. Never mind.

Comment

• AmosMoses01
        AmosMoses01 commented
        Editing a comment
        I literally laughed out loud at work reading your response! Thanks for the laugh! No single sister in law.

Nice cook and congrats on the car. I owned a Triumph TR3 many moon ago lots of fun.
      Don't know how into driving you are but I will suggest you look into your local Mazda Car Club and find out about open tracking events. It's that fun and spirited drive down the winding byway multiplied by 10X and legal plus safer. The old Mazda Miatas handled really well. I had a 90 Mustang that I set up to run on track and ran with the NorCal Shelby Club for years. There was a woman in the club who drove a Miata and would catch me in the corners. I would wave her by me and not see her again for the rest of the 20 minute session.
      Just saying and offering possibilities.

Comment

Originally posted by ofelles View Post
        Nice cook and congrats on the car. I owned a Triumph TR3 many moon ago lots of fun.
        Don't know how into driving you are but I will suggest you look into your local Mazda Car Club and find out about open tracking events. It's that fun and spirited drive down the winding byway multiplied by 10X and legal plus safer. The old Mazda Miatas handled really well. I had a 90 Mustang that I set up to run on track and ran with the NorCal Shelby Club for years. There was a woman in the club who drove a Miata and would catch me in the corners. I would wave her by me and not see her again for the rest of the 20 minute session.
        Just saying and offering possibilities.
        Thanks! I love driving, and have a few friends who are into the local Central Texas autocross scene. I'm trying to avoid catching the car-mod bug, which I know joining a club will definitely result in. A couple friends' clubs actually have time on the Circuit of the Americas track here in Austin. I'm going to in the near term focus on just enjoying Hill Country drives hitting BBQ joints on the Texas BBQ tour.

Comment

• ofelles
          ofelles commented
          Editing a comment
          It certainly is cheaper that way and not so good for your waistline. Would love to drive the Circuit of America track but I have driven on Laguna Seca a few times. Enjoy the drives, food and cooks!

Announcement

Collapse
      No announcement yet.
      Working...
      X
      false
      ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
      false
      false
      {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
      Yes
      ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
      /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here