Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Chicken Drums

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Chicken Drums

low smoke or vortex? Its been forever since i cooked drummies, def before i got the vortex. Whats peoples fave method? Will be memphis dusting them.

Smoke 225ish
    4.76%
    Full on vortex
    61.90%
    Other
    33.33%

I go higher than 225, but not full on Vortex. So, "other." I don't believe there is a wrong answer here, just get them done without burning up the sugar in the MMD..

Comment

• grantgallagher
      grantgallagher commented
      Editing a comment
      yeah thats what im worried about with the vortex

My kids like wings, but drumsticks are cheaper and have more meat, so often over the years I've substituted a big pack of drumsticks from Sam's Club for wings, and the kids were just as happy.

If you want nice skin, you need to cook these way hotter than 225. I voted for full on Vortex. I don't have a Vortex, but tend to direct grill my wings and drumsticks on Grillgrates at around 350F.

Comment

• Steve R.
      Steve R. commented
      Editing a comment
      He is asking about the "drummie" section of the wing. I don't find heat to be as make or break with wings, because they will be crispy at whatever temperature if you get them done enough.

I'm not a Vortex user and therefore don't know what to expect from "full on" ... but I concur with jfmorris that you should shoot for 350F for decent skin ... but I wouldn't go any higher to avoid burning the MMD.

Comment

I haven't done drumsticks in a while but have done some chicken thighs the last couple weeks. I just filled up the SNS with hot coals and cooked them indirect. I didn't really measure any grill temps but I am guessing it was around 400-500. Thighs and drums are pretty resilient and can stand a lot of heat. So of the two options above I would go vortex but since I don't have one I just get things hot and let it roll.

Comment

• JoeSousa
        JoeSousa commented
        Editing a comment
        And grantgallagher, I used MMD on one batch and Honey Hog (hard to think of a rub with more sugar in it) on another and I didn't have any issues with burning. The skins got a bit dark but there was no bitter, burnt sugar taste.

I do leg quarters at about 350 on the smoker with Memphis Dust then finish on the grill with Sweet Baby Rays. Yummy!

Comment

Wings are expensive around here compared to legs and such. I don't have a vortex either but like JoeSousa I load up the slo n sear, cook indirect and do a late sear to try and crisp up a little.

Comment

I voted vortex, cause vortex chicken is amazing, but I would not use MMD with the vortex.

Comment

Click image for larger version

Name:	chick 06.jpg
Views:	184
Size:	159.2 KB
ID:	690270

You just can't beat Vortex chicken. 30 minutes on each side, hit about 175* internal, pull 'em, eat 'em.

Comment

• Rod
              Rod commented
              Editing a comment
              Troutman 30min per side? Is that due to how many you have packed in there? Mine usually take about 30-40 minutes total without any flipping.

• Thunder77
              Thunder77 commented
              Editing a comment
              Can I get an amen!!!

• Troutman
              Troutman commented
              Editing a comment
              It may only be 25-25 but yes I do flip them to get even browning on both sides. These are also wet marinated overnight and in order to get crispy skin I leave them on longer to achieve that Rod

Click image for larger version  Name:	145CAA19-4564-4AC6-BE81-0B1FADF8A382.jpeg Views:	1 Size:	3.21 MB ID:	690320 Well, vortex and memphis dust with some maple wiod came out looking pretty good!

hopefully just as tasty. Probably took about 35 mins total to hit temp

Comment

• fuzzydaddy
              fuzzydaddy commented
              Editing a comment
              Those look dang good.

• grantgallagher
              grantgallagher commented
              Editing a comment
              They were good but if anything, a little over. I always forget how damn fast the vortex cooks.

Smoke at 325-350, finish with high heat.

Comment

I like to rip them hot and fast. Same with turkey legs too!

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
              No announcement yet.
              Working...
              X
              false
              ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
              false
              false
              {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
              Yes
              ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
              /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here