Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Bacon-Wrapped Turkey Breast

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Bacon-Wrapped Turkey Breast

Well, after cooking inedible pork steaks Saturday night, I ended up with something really good Sunday night: Malcom Reed's Bacon Wrapped Turkey Breast (https://howtobbqright.com/2016/11/15...turkey-breast/)

This required doing a bacon weave, which I had never done before. It was a little tricky at first, but I figured it out. I didn't quite get it perfectly wrapped around the turkey, but it was good enough.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG-3227.JPG
Views:	158
Size:	87.1 KB
ID:	689341Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG-3228.JPG
Views:	177
Size:	107.8 KB
ID:	689340

I cooked it on my Kettle/SnS, KBB, a few chunks of applewood. In his video, Malcom uses his BGE and keeps the temp around 300 degrees. It took him 50 minutes to cook it. My breast was essentially the same size (perhaps just a tad larger) and it took me four hours at 325-350! That was extremely surprising.

It also "stalled out" around 140 degrees, only creeping up a tenth of a degree every one-to-two minutes.

Going beyond the video's time by two hours, I was afraid that this would turn out completely dry. It was not! (I pulled it at 165.) Very juicy! The bacon even still turned out fine -- although a bit more done than I like and a few pieces at the bottom that were overly-crisp. I suspect that injecting the heck out of it (as Malcom does in the video) had a lot to do with keeping it moist.

I served it (at 10:30 pm, thankfully we are night owls) with steamed green beans and cornbread stuffing.

On a side note, I am getting so much better at controlling my temps. This is the longest cook I've ever done, and I held it steady at 330ish for most of the cook. I'm still getting used to the idea that the Weber Kettle doesn't need that many coals to do lower temps. I had both of my vents at around 1/4" open.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG-3230.JPG
Views:	177
Size:	98.7 KB
ID:	689339Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG-3231.JPG
Views:	247
Size:	91.6 KB
ID:	689338

Looks like a delicious, much deserved win!

Comment

Congrats on a successful cook. It looks very good.

Comment

Very nice, can't go wrong with bacon !!!

Comment

Wow! Looks delicious!

Re: cooking time. I don't have a kamado (BGE), but I suspect the difference is in your choice of cooker. The Weber + SNS cooks with convection. A ceramic cooker has radiated heat coming off the hot ceramic, plus convection. I suspect this helped the original recipe finish quicker than you experienced. Perhaps one of our local kamado fans can comment.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
          No announcement yet.
          Working...
          X
          false
          ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
          false
          false
          {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
          Yes
          ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
          /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here