Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Duck--Low and Slow????

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Duck--Low and Slow????

Does anyone here ever do "BBQ duck" low and slow, like a pork butt or a brisket? I suppose a higher heat at the end would be necessary to crisp the skin (maybe even throw it on the rotisserie to finish?), but otherwise, why not cook for hours at 225°F-ish?

Pulled duck, anyone?

I've never BBQed a duck but I would think I would probably do it hot and fast like a chicken.

Comment

Nope, you want to go hot, 375-400*

Comment

The duck I've eaten has tended to be on the dry side, especially the breast meat, because people tend to cook it way too long. One recipe I looked at calls for baking duck at 350 F for a whopping 3 hours. Wowser.

Here's an article about cooking duck from Thermoworks: https://blog.thermoworks.com/poultry/duck_roast/

Comment

• JGo37
          JGo37 commented
          Editing a comment
          So I am thinking boil, then smoke really hot. Good article!

• Murdy
          Murdy commented
          Editing a comment
          Boiling (briefly, more blanching I suppose) is a step in a lot of Peking Duck recipes, sucks the grease out of the skin and lets the skin crisp up. I tried it with a goose once, and it actually worked pretty well. After dunking in the boiling water, you're supposed to let it sit for a while/or overnight.

I have to agree that most of the duck I've eaten has been overcooked. There's a restaurant near me that makes a duck breast appetizer--they cook it medium rare, and it's fantastic.

Here's a Raichlen recipe that smokes the duck at 250, then bumps up the temp to 350 and goes for a total of 3-4 hours. He says the Chinese prefer duck well done.

Get the recipe for Cherry-Smoked Duck with Chipotle-Cherry Barbecue Sauce, as seen on Steven Raichlen's show Project Smoke, Episode 202.

Comment

• FireMan
          FireMan commented
          Editing a comment
          Like the shades, 🕶

Duck is duck, so cook it like a chicken, hot & fast. The difference is, it will taste like a duck. The Chinese &/or Asian way is it will be cooked dead, a little different taste & texture. Whatever trips yer trigger. Just don’t be a wuss, cook it & eat it & say yum.

Comment

Comment

• Troutman
            Troutman commented
            Editing a comment
            ...just gotta wear shades !!!

• FireMan
            FireMan commented
            Editing a comment
            We bad, we bad! 🕶

On Thanksgiving a buddy of mine cooked his turkey for several hours in his pellet cooker at 200 degrees. He sent me a couple of pics. The skin didn't pick up a lot of color but the breast meat was plenty juicy.

Comment

I have grilled, baked, and pan fried duck breast many times. Here is the thing with duck. The breasts want to be medium rare and the legs and thighs want to be around 180 degrees. So I separate the duck and render as much fat and skin from the carcass as I can. Duck fat is liquid gold. I cook the legs and thighs confit with some garlic at 250 for about 2 hours or so. Then grill on high heat to crisp up. For the breasts, crosshatch the fat cap in about 1/2" squares, grill medium to high heat skin side down. Cook fat through then flip until medium rare.....That's the Reader's Digest version. Click image for larger version  Name:	duckleg.jpg Views:	1 Size:	443.3 KB ID:	659594Click image for larger version  Name:	breast.jpg Views:	1 Size:	316.9 KB ID:	659593Click image for larger version  Name:	18814775_10210283311253235_3237515574345171670_o.jpg Views:	1 Size:	270.0 KB ID:	659592

Comment

I’ve cooked a fair amount of ducks and the method consistently produces a great bird. The recipe here uses a siracha honey glaze which is excellent. The method itself is the important part as you can use whatever glaze you like.

Intimidated by roasting a whole duck? Don't be. Get my foolproof, step-by-step photo recipe for roasting a gorgeous holiday duck with the crispiest skin!

Comment

Skin prep is important.

Ive had good success with Clint’s duck recipe.
                Roasted Peking duck, with a rich mahogany color and perfectly crisped skin, is considered a national dish of China. This grill roasted Peking duck recipe contains the steps necessary to replicate this classic dish at home. The result is perfectly crisped skin and mouthwateringly juicy and flavorful meat.

Comment

Also, what do you call a duck looking around a corner?

Comment

Be sure to use high heat to get the mallard reaction going ;-)

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                    No announcement yet.
                    Working...
                    X
                    false
                    ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                    false
                    false
                    {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                    Yes
                    ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                    /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here