Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Sous Vide Q Boneless Skinless Chicken Breast Questions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Sous Vide Q Boneless Skinless Chicken Breast Questions

I never heard of Sous Vide until last week when my neighbor told me about it. He even loaned me his Anova PC to try on fillet mignon steaks. I was immediately sold on the method and 2 days later (thanks Amazon Prime 😁) I had my own Anova Nano PC. I've done 2 cooks with it so far; a chuck eye steak (2 hours at 135F) and a pork steak (24 hours at 160F). The pork was the most tender I have ever eaten. This method of cooking is definitely a 5-star winner.

Now on to the chicken. From the recipe section (AmazingRibs free side), I found the
    Perfect Grilled Boneless Chicken Breasts, The Sous-Vide-Que Method by
    Clint Cantwell. I’ll be doing the SV cook at the recommended 150F he suggested. I’ll also be using a chicken rub from a local meat shop they use on the marinated chicken breast they sell. It’s an awesome rub for chicken.

Clint did not make mention of finishing on the smoker/grill. I have the Camp Chef Woodwind SG and will finish it on there with some additional wet sauce. So, the questions. To what temperature should the grill be heated? How long should I grill it? I have access, today, to most commercial brands of Q sauce such as Sweet Baby Rays, Traeger, and Blues Hog. Doing the cook today, so can’t get a sauce on line and I really don’t have the time to make my own today. What commercial Q sauce would be a great match for sous vide chicken with a rub on it? Should the Q sauce be applied when I put the chicken on the grill? If not, when should I apply the Q sauce?

Are you going to shock it after are done cooking Sous vide? I would go at 400 F and cook the chicken to an internal temp of 150 F. Do not go over your temp you set while cooking sous vide. .

If you are going to go right from the bag, I would heat the grill to as high as it will go; at this point in the cook all you are looking for is a sear on the surface of the chicken.

I would add the sauce at the very end, or keep it on the side. If you are searing to get some crispy skin, the sauce will not allow the skin to crisp up. That is why I prefer to have it on the side.

Comment

• Spinaker
      Spinaker commented
      Editing a comment
      I would get the fire as hot as you can, and simply cook to color. 400 F will not be hot enough to get a great sear. Cooking to time is not a great idea as every piece of meat is different and every fire is a different temp. dubob

• dubob
      dubob commented
      Editing a comment
      I'll crank to max (about 500F) and sear for color with a IT probe inserted and watch the IT so that it doesn't climb too high (155F max). Pics and report to follow soon. 😁👍

• Spinaker
      Spinaker commented
      Editing a comment
      Sounds good, Sir!!! We are looking forward to it! dubob

dobob, I SV a lot of chicken breasts in different marinades and then sear afterwards. I have found that I have to be careful with sweeter/sugar marinades.....they burn easily and can cause the chicken to stick to flattop griddles and grill surfaces during the sear. The best results I have had is using "Grill Grates" and the G. G. tool to lift the meat straight up. Started experimenting with searing/smoking before putting into the SV. I also try to remove excess marinade before searing and sauce after.

Comment

• dubob
      dubob commented
      Editing a comment
      I'm not using a 'wet' marinade, but rather a dry rub. I realize that when the SV is done, there will be some moisture in the bag from the cook. I'm guessing I should PAT it dry as apposed to rinsing it off or rubbing it dry. Do you think I'll still have a sticking issue? I don't have Grill Grates, just the grills that came with it from the Mfg. I'm guessing they are porcelain covered metal.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
Working...
X
false
["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
false
false
{"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
Yes
["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
/forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here