Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Vortex Wings not Crispy

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Vortex Wings not Crispy

I cooked my third try with vortex wings and they're moist and tasty but still not crispy. Click image for larger version

Name:	20190316_192706[1].jpg
Views:	3045
Size:	100.0 KB
ID:	651811
    Above are the wings with the stuffed jalapeno that made up last night's dinner. Wings were seasoned with a jalapeno salt that we get from the local spice shop. Cooked them for about 30 minutes or so.

Had the vents full open, a full basket of charcoal, remembered the foil around the outside to divert the air though the vortex. I didn't have a temperature probe in but the thermometer on the top that others have said gets close to pegged read a little over 400. I don't think it got to 450. The only thing I can think of is that I need to change charcoal. I have been using Weber for the last couple months. I think I have read that the charcoal some used impacted temperature. I am really after the crispy chicken but I can't seem to get there. Any other ideas you all have would be helpful.

Click image for larger version

Name:	4E86C506-3CEC-4F34-8ADF-7D7615078414.jpeg
Views:	1702
Size:	124.1 KB
ID:	651822 I find i hit higher temps with the vortex with no foil. Easily getting 5-600. The built in thermometer on the kettle is maxed out, not that that means much mind you but its def hot. I usually am using reg kingsford. Top and bottom vents wide open.

i just did some vortex chicken tonight.

Name:	46B4F448-ED8F-4B3E-A0F9-A34DCB3867EF.jpeg
Views:	1736
Size:	163.3 KB
ID:	651821

Comment

• grantgallagher
      grantgallagher commented
      Editing a comment
      Sorry, pics from phone is a real PITA sometimes on this site. Anyways, ive never paid attention to max heat with diff charcoals but i do find the webers burn longer (IIRC correctly they are larger too) so maybe they arent burning as hot? Im really not sure. But i have never had problems getting blazing heat with the vortex

I installed a grate level thermometer since 500F likes to kill electronic probes. When my grate thermo reads 500, the dome theremo is pegged as far as it will go above 600.

My my guess is that your grate level was around 325-350, which would take longer than 30 minutes to crisp the skin. Did you check the internal meat temp? Wings should be around 175F or so to breakdown the connective tissue even though it’s bacterially safe to eat at lower temperatures.

Those large weber briqs May be the culprit. You need lots of surface area burning. Did you check all vents were wide open and clear of ash?

How did you light? I usually drop an entire lit chimney in there and that gets me 475-500 at grate level for about 35 minutes or so.

If if it is the charcoal, give Kingsford professional a try. Theres lots of others to try, but it is readily available.

The he best part is you have an excuse to make another (or several) batch(es) of wings.

Comment

• SparkDog
      SparkDog commented
      Editing a comment
      I will have to find the Kingsford Pro. I lit a whole chimney as well and when they ashed over, dumped them into the vortex. The chicken itself was a little above 165 when I pulled them. I like the idea of the grate level thermometer.

• Polarbear777
      Polarbear777 commented
      Editing a comment
      Definitely try a smaller hotter burning briq. Do a test run with a probe thermo at the grate if you have one. Just be careful about going over 475 with the probe in there.

The grate level thermo is easy to install. It’s just a drilled hole and the thermo is the one recommended in the reviews section of this site. You don’t need a gasket or anything it will tighten down fine. Usually reads within 10F of my elec proves at grate level.

If straight cooking in the vortex, I target ~175F.

Maybe a stupid question, but you dont have the foil running underneath the vortex do you?

Comment

• Old Glory
      Old Glory commented
      Editing a comment
      Was thinking same thing blocking airflow

• SparkDog
      SparkDog commented
      Editing a comment
      I placed the foil down, placed the vortex on top and tore the and removed the foil from the inside. I don't think I tore a perfect circle but thought I had enough open area to not hinder airflow.

Still warming up when I shot the photos. Dome is 600 when grate is 400. Big difference.

Name:	F1788195-EA58-4541-A21D-7C0AD3E8D38B.jpeg
Views:	1612
Size:	101.7 KB
ID:	651836

Name:	59FDE58A-0DA3-4DE5-A211-6E2DB35F5A97.jpeg
Views:	1654
Size:	122.0 KB
ID:	651837

The pictured wings were run at ~490 for about 30 minutes.

Name:	01306A34-C21C-4B7F-8623-A1099F96A860.jpeg
Views:	1688
Size:	138.5 KB
ID:	651835

Comment

• Polarbear777
      Polarbear777 commented
      Editing a comment
      Of course I sauced them and threw them back on for 5 minutes before getting this pic.

• SparkDog
      SparkDog commented
      Editing a comment
      Each time I have tried, I have not had temperatures near that high. Your wings look real tasty as well. If I ever get the cooking right, I will have to go back and try with sauce.

• Kevin_nj
      Kevin_nj commented
      Editing a comment
      Dayum, I thought my wings looked good till I saw yours.

Another point for consideration...are you dry brining the wings or doing anything to dry out the skin before cooking? That goes a long way towards crispy.

Comment

• SparkDog
      SparkDog commented
      Editing a comment
      I salted/seasoned the wings before I lit the chimney. Would I need to let them sit a little longer?

• grantgallagher
      grantgallagher commented
      Editing a comment
      SparkDog i typically salt and let sit on a rack open in the fridge overnight. That way the skin dries and is easier to get crispy. Add aby additional seasoning right before grilling

Just ran a batch of wings with the Vortex last night. Fully lite chimney. Mixed Stubs and KBB. That’s what was opened. The lid temps were between 500-550*. Took 40-45min for the cook. I also placed a nice sized chunk of cherry on the grate right above the center of the Vortex.
    Once I pulled them I let them rest for about 10-15 minutes, to put everything else together.
    They were nice and crispy and tender inside. Click image for larger version

Name:	B7C5EBC7-1FAD-4C48-A865-0BAF2D8ADFB0.jpeg
Views:	1616
Size:	88.9 KB
ID:	651841Click image for larger version

Name:	31B29E2C-D3A9-4E84-9C03-3D6A32549131.jpeg
Views:	1646
Size:	99.7 KB
ID:	651842Click image for larger version

Name:	E9B92562-C120-4869-9AFE-6781C5CB0963.jpeg
Views:	1628
Size:	109.4 KB
ID:	651843Click image for larger version

Name:	130BB958-FB95-4755-836F-DCE9A1988C41.jpeg
Views:	1639
Size:	103.1 KB
ID:	651844Click image for larger version

Name:	C8185306-C928-460B-86BF-E431DE958460.jpeg
Views:	1620
Size:	116.5 KB
ID:	651845

Comment

• fzxdoc
      fzxdoc commented
      Editing a comment
      Oh my good lord. Those look awesome.

Kathryn

• HouseHomey
      HouseHomey commented
      Editing a comment
      Oh yeah baby!!

• SparkDog
      SparkDog commented
      Editing a comment
      Another shot of what I am trying for. We all ate well last night. Even if mine didn't get crispy.

I thought I knew how to do vortex wings, what do I know?

Comment

• HouseHomey
      HouseHomey commented
      Editing a comment
      A good meal more than me. Crud! You are still at zero! I’m in trouble.

I don’t have a vortex but my wings usually take 45 minutes on the kettle, direct grilled with Grillgrates with the kettle running wide open.

Comment

If you try salt and aluminum-free baking powder, I guarantee that you will get some crispy wings. If you leave them in the fridge uncovered for a while that helps as well. The baking powder method changes the ph of the skin, allowing it to get more crispy.
      Toss out that deep fryer just like last year's jeans. We've got the solution to crispy baked chicken wings.

Comment

• adamcoe
        adamcoe commented
        Editing a comment
        Ahh baking powder, I had not thought of that, very cool. How much do you use? Just dust it on with your salt?

• fzxdoc
        fzxdoc commented
        Editing a comment
        adamcoe and SparkDog , baking powder really helps to crisp chicken skin. Kenji-Lopez-Alt (SeriousEats.com) first suggested it years ago. Don't use much baking powder or the chicken will taste bitter. Use only aluminum-free baking powder. Mix 1 tsp baking powder per tablespoon of rub, mixing it well with the rub before applying to the skin. Then, like Thunder77 says, let the chicken sit, uncovered, in the fridge for while (overnight for a whole chicken) so the skin dries out more.

Kathryn
        Last edited by fzxdoc; March 19, 2019, 06:46 AM.

Hotter, longer and drier. That should give you a win! If that don’t work bring’em to my house and we’ll bread them in panko and fry them in lard! I guarantee crispy!

Comment

Thanks for the help everyone. I will find some new charcoal, salt them earlier as well as add some baking powder to give myself every advantage and cook them longer. After I see how they come out, the next time will get some sauce. Those looked real good and my wife wants me to make some chicken with sauce like she had when she was young.

Comment

• Thunder77
          Thunder77 commented
          Editing a comment
          Just make sure that it is aluminum-free baking powder. Otherwise, you will have a bitter taste.

Here’s the vortex running with some kbb and other dregs from other bags etc. you can run hotter with KBB pro or similar.

You want to use hot burning coal AND you must get a whole chimney completely lit.

Name:	F9EBCF2C-80DD-471D-A494-74DD86792D67.jpeg
Views:	1608
Size:	83.1 KB
ID:	653082

Name:	E323172D-D730-44A0-BF9E-486AE4CEA75F.jpeg
Views:	1601
Size:	100.8 KB
ID:	653083

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
        No announcement yet.
        Working...
        X
        false
        ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
        false
        false
        {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
        Yes
        ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
        /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here