Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Pink Chicken Safe to Eat?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Pink Chicken Safe to Eat?

Here's an informative article from Thermoworks.

And cue the sous vide discussion...

Comment

Yup, I agree with ThermoWorks, eat pink chicken confidently. Although there are still doubt in my mind, that’s it, it’s my mind & that’s not the most reliable item in my tool box. Now, the thing to fear is green chicken. That is not wonderful, pardon me Kermit.

Comment

That's actually a very good article. It's about time and temperature when cooking, that's why it's so vital to have a good thermo device when smoking meat. Your eyes and improper perceptions can ruin or cause issues with any piece of meat.

Comment

Just ate some pinkish chicken last night. Soooooo juicy. Soooooo good.

Comment

Meathead has been saying the same for years.

Many recipes say to cook poultry 'until the juices run clear'. If you do, you could end up overcooking your poultry or spending the night on the toilet. Find out the real science behind pink juices, undercooked chicken, safe doneness temperatures, salmonella, and why the best tool for food safety is a good thermometer.

Kathryn

Comment

• FireMan
              FireMan commented
              Editing a comment
              It’s where I first got the idea. Somethings you just file & you don’t remember where it came from, but it’s in the trust department of your brain.

Always good to have this on hand for uninformed eaters.

Comment

• FireMan
              FireMan commented
              Editing a comment
              Wow, that’s one to chew on, uninformed eaters. 🕶

Thank you for sharing. Please remember, General Discussion is for topics off the subject off food, meat, cookers, & accessories, thanks!

Comment

Had me some pink chicken about an hour or so ago àndhjjk ..ughd mm.......

Skjdj...r

Comment

Interesting re-write of Meathead's article. Why not just link to it, why rewrite it?

Comment

I am aware pink chicken is safe to eat if it has been temp checked.
                BUT!
                I just can't do it. Can't get past the mental block.

Comment

https://www.seriouseats.com/2015/07/...en-breast.html

The table is also here in graph form, which is nice. Below about 150 you pretty much can’t hold it for long enough without sous vide or some sort of $$ temp controlled oven.

I usually start a 5 minute timer when the internal temp hits 150 and make sure it is still carrying over for those 5 minutes. Usually doesn’t get above 155-160.

Of course thighs and wings need more time and/or higher temp to break down the connective tissue.

Comment

The only way I eat pink chicken is if I see a thermometer in it that says 165°F. That’s the only thing that will get my brain past the color.

Comment

I eat my chicken raw. I also swim in sewage and hang around nuclear waste disposal sites.

I like to keep my immune system on its toes.

Comment

• FireMan
                        FireMan commented
                        Editing a comment
                        Chuckle, chuckle. 🕶

I have had chicken thighs and drumsticks cooked to 180 degrees, and they still had some pink or purplish spots near the bone. sometimes you just can get rid of it. I have shown my family the Meathead article, and eaten pink chicken in front of them, and not had any issues. They still are not convinced.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                      No announcement yet.
                      Working...
                      X
                      false
                      ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                      false
                      false
                      {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                      Yes
                      ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                      /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here