Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What do you pay for whole chicken?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What do you pay for whole chicken?

I pay a premium for what I think is a higher quality humanely raised bird. Still comes out to just a few bucks a serving. What do you pay?

Click image for larger version

Name:	fqEl9EL.png
Views:	216
Size:	398.1 KB
ID:	637663

Can you find the P-number on the package?? Eg. P-1234

Comment

• Attjack
      Attjack commented
      Editing a comment
      No, because I already cooked that chicken. What would the P-number tell us?

• RobertC
      RobertC commented
      Editing a comment
      Sometimes it tells you things you don't want to know.

• ComfortablyNumb
      ComfortablyNumb commented
      Editing a comment
      I believe it will tell you which plant processed the bird. Attjack

I've been getting air chilled chickens at local Winco for (I think) about $2.68 a pound. They are smaller birds though, i think about 2.5 lbs. Still, My wife and i got 4+ meals out of it. Chicken, chicken, chicken salad, chicken noodle soup, leftover soup. Note: I'm eating light these days.

Comment

$1.29 a pound on sale for Earth Fare (healthy grocery store) whole chicken. Gotta watch the sales though. Maybe $2.79 full price. It’s delicious chicken though.

Comment

About $4.50 for the whole bird. $3.00 for a day old chick, $1.50 in feed.

Comment

• Backroadmeats
          Backroadmeats commented
          Editing a comment
          I will have to check that out as my Amish lady just moved 100 miles west of me!! I agree on raising you own chicken but I like mine big.. last year the biggest one was amost 11 pounds dressed.. I cut back on the feed and make them eat grass and bugs all summer so it keeps them from getting to fat..

• ComfortablyNumb
          Editing a comment
          Backroadmeats If you can't find a nearby Featherman or MPU to rent, shoot me a PM and I can help direct you to less cost alternatives.

• Backroadmeats
          Backroadmeats commented
          Editing a comment
          I just look at the rental part on the website there is on 35 miles from me.. I wish ya lived closer I would barter ya use of my meat locker for use of you chicken processing stuff.. thanks for the heads up on the rental page!! I am not even sure if I can butcher chickens on the property with a meat locker going up.. my inspector is pretty strict on chickens!!

I'm paying just about $9,31pr kilo of premium chicken here in Norway

Comment

• Attjack
          Attjack commented
          Editing a comment
          So is that about $4.22 a pounds?

• Elton's BBQ
          Elton's BBQ commented
          Editing a comment
          NapMaster To me a premium chicken have a better quality. Sustainably and humanely raised without antibiotics.
          Attjack yessire..

• NapMaster
          NapMaster commented
          Editing a comment
          Gotcha! So premium has nothing to do with the quality of the meat. Thanks for the clarification.

get them on sale for 69-99¢ a pound.

Comment

• Attjack
          Attjack commented
          Editing a comment
          Smart Chicken is what I'm paying $3 for.

• Mr. Bones
          Mr. Bones commented
          Editing a comment
          Yup, Pilgrims Pride is def local to yall; usedta drive past it several times a week...

Chicken houses all up an down th back roads, thereabouts, least where I was...Lake Bob Sandlin area, Camp County...Farm to Market Roads,offa Hwy 11, mostly...

Please, Scotty, Beam Me Up!!!!!

• texastweeter
          texastweeter commented
          Editing a comment
          Mr. Bones one of those houses a couple miles from dads farm, a feed lot a couple the other direction.

$1.49 a lb for Aldi organic or $3.00 per lb from a farmer nearby.

Comment

National chicken company main headquarters nearby. Twice a month HQ employee box sales. Friend gets me 40lbs boxes of whole chickens for less than 50 cents a pound.

Comment

• texastweeter
            texastweeter commented
            Editing a comment
            bought a box like that at that price once for a buddy that works at pilgrims . once the block of ice melted was 24 birds inside... That's a lot of chicken!

• Attjack
            Attjack commented
            Editing a comment
            That's crazy cheap.

Avg $1.49-1.99/lb whole bird. Amish something, at least that label says so, pretty sure it's not really Amish.

Comment

• FireMan
            FireMan commented
            Editing a comment
            Well does the guy you buy it from have beard & wear a straw hat?

• ComfortablyNumb
            Editing a comment
            FireMan Lots of folks have beards, and wear straw hats. Not so many in a horse drawn cart with chicken on block ice in the back.

• Huskee
            Huskee commented
            Editing a comment
            None of the guys at the supermarket have beards or straw hats. FireMan

Used to be $0.63lbs. Now I refuse to pay more than $.99lbs ever. For any type of chicken. Whole, piece etc... wings I pay $2.58lbs usually about 5 lbs a pack.

for an air chilled sprouts has them at 1.99-2.99 always. Less when on sale. Good chicken.

other than that it’s Foster farms for me.

Comment

I tend to pay $0.99 to $1.29 per pound here.

Comment

I like my chickens to be raised without antibiotics, and air-chilled. I'm willing to pay a premium for that.

Comment

• Troutman
                Troutman commented
                Editing a comment
                Wasn't that a Salt-N-Pepa song? ComfortablyNumb

• RobertC
                RobertC commented
                Editing a comment
                Attjack, about $2.99/lb, minimum. I'll pay more than that if they live outdoors and scratch for bugs and worms. The flesh is tastier and the texture is firmer.

• RobertC
                RobertC commented
                Editing a comment
                @attjack: https://www.npr.org/2019/02/24/69718...-of-your-poult
                The conundrum: do we prematurely end the life of a happy and fulfilled chicken, or do we eat chickens for whom death is a welcome release from life in hell?

No idea without going to the store and looking. But its getting about time for me to buy a couple more and get them ready for the rotisserie...

Comment

I've never heard of air-chilled chicken before this. I'll have to start paying attention, and see what I can find locally. I tend to go to Fresh Market when they have stuff on sale. I am sure they would carry such a thing, but I've not seen it at Sam's/Costco/Walmart/Kroger that I know of, and those are the places I usually shop.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                No announcement yet.
                Working...
                X
                false
                ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                false
                false
                {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                Yes
                ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here