Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Christmas Prime Rib Help

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Christmas Prime Rib Help

Merry Christmas Everyone,
    I am trying to make a last minute cooking decision for our 6.5 Lbs Bone in Prime Rib. I can’t remember if I did last years on the 26” Kettle over KBB or on the GMG Pellet Oven. I really think it was the Kettle because The GMG was brand new to me Last Christmas. So here is what I am thinking. Cook as per Meatheads Recipe on the Pellet Oven, And Sear it over the Vortex. I would give the Vortex time to settle in a bit so it was not too hot.
    Thanks in Advance

That should work. The all important part is temp management and the pellet will do that! I'm doing one on the Weber.
    Merry Christmas!

Comment

• Pirate Scott
      Pirate Scott commented
      Editing a comment
      Awesome! Thanks, and Merry Christmas

Did the same size on the pellet pooper yesterday. Ran it at 250 and decided to take it all the way to 130 IT because it barked up so nicely with the cow crust paste. Took about 3 hours and turned out pretty good.

Comment

• Pirate Scott
      Pirate Scott commented
      Editing a comment
      Hmmmmm, Very Interesting. It wouldn’t break my heart to not have to Sear it. Thank You and Merry Christmas.

• CaptainMike
      CaptainMike commented
      Editing a comment
      Worse comes to worst you could always firm it up on the charcoal grill or broiler. Make that decision when you think you have about 30 minutes left so you can get something fired up. be sure to make up the CC paste in advance and with water, I think that was the key.

Pirate Scott Also doing a prime rib. Using my dad's Charbroil 4-burner gasser. Never used it before and don't have a grill temp thermometer here. Relying on experience and instinct on this one. I do have a leave in thermometer for the meat so will have some telemetry. Good luck!

Comment

• Reds Fan 5
      Reds Fan 5 commented
      Editing a comment
      So my confidence was not well-placed. Thought I had a perfect cook. Temp was at 115 after 2hrs 40 mins. Started the sear and started getting ITs from the Thermopop all over the map. ITs leveled out and I thought I was done. Slice it and see that it is medium other than a round spot about 2/3 way down running the length of the roast. It was almost raw.

• Reds Fan 5
      Reds Fan 5 commented
      Editing a comment
      When I sliced it the roast started to split. It was a prime grade roast from Costco and had two strands of gristle running along the bottom. I had to saw through it to get clean slices. Ended up basically slicing out the raw spot in each piece. Gray meat with a pink spot in the center. Guests were kind (flavor from bark was good). Personally considering it a massive fail.

• Reds Fan 5
      Reds Fan 5 commented
      Editing a comment
      The raw spot must have still been frozen and my probe near or in the cold spot.

I wouldn’t use the Vortex. The bare coals should be plenty hot without being concentrated. You can always leave it on a bit longer, but once it’s scorched it’s over.

Comment

• Pirate Scott
      Pirate Scott commented
      Editing a comment
      Great Advice, I have not Filled the Vortex Yet. In fact I am hoping to not need it based on CaptainMike Results. Merry Christmas
      Last edited by Pirate Scott; December 25, 2018, 12:50 PM. Reason: Oops

• Henrik
      Henrik commented
      Editing a comment
      +1 from me. Skip the Vortex, not needed. Just use the bare coals.

For me, I just do it in the oven. And, it always crusts up really nice without any extra searing.

Comment

Thanks for the advice, I ended up cooking on the Pellet Oven @225 till 120 internal. I Seared it on the Kettle till 135-140 internal. My guests weren’t liking the color of the meat so I touched their slices up on the Weber for a minute. I may just do Steaks next year, less stress and I can dial in the temperature better.
      Nobody here likes it unless it’s Med Well to Well Done. Click image for larger version

Name:	1EE23A04-EB8E-4B5C-B2D9-07A98F7EBFAE.jpeg
Views:	128
Size:	175.1 KB
ID:	612898
      Click image for larger version

Name:	9BF9301C-918C-41AC-9EE5-1E609223B762.jpeg
Views:	105
Size:	136.5 KB
ID:	612899
      Attached Files

Comment

• EdF
        EdF commented
        Editing a comment
        I have the same problem.

• Pirate Scott
        Pirate Scott commented
        Editing a comment
        I feel your Pain EdF My father in law told me not to worry about it, just put it in the Microwave for a minute.🤔 It only takes a minute on the Kettle to get them to Wel Done.

Announcement

Collapse
    No announcement yet.
    Working...
    X
    false
    ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
    false
    false
    {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
    Yes
    ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
    /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here