Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Dry aging Prime rib

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Dry aging Prime rib

After reading all the reviews on the exceptional taste and texture on dry aged beef, I decided to take the plunge and try my hand. Having received a used refrigerator from my Brother in law when he remodeled his kitchen,Click image for larger version

Name:	5AA94694-A5C4-44F9-A2AE-B6155954F3C4.png
Views:	153
Size:	422.7 KB
ID:	612219
    I decided to dedicate it to aging my first rib roast.

After cleaning the fridge well, and sanitizing with StarSan, (all you home brewers will be familiar with this) I set it up with a fan and wet bulb thermometer. Click image for larger version

Name:	7700D92A-5018-4251-B6FF-A78B7640733C.png
Views:	115
Size:	180.3 KB
ID:	612220Click image for larger version

Name:	DF2A35F0-BDF9-4F40-ACDC-A37AC14F67EA.png
Views:	139
Size:	233.5 KB
ID:	612221
    The water jugs are for thermal regulation when the door is opened per Meatheads technique,
    Here is how to dry age and wet age beef at home and save a lot of money in the process.

I then placed the roast on the lower rack and sealed the door with a "do not open" sign.

Click image for larger version

Name:	E4BC5AC9-FBDC-4B52-8EE9-25DBEF30E5C5.png
Views:	117
Size:	292.6 KB
ID:	612222Click image for larger version

Name:	749ABDAD-B3DF-4AFD-8385-01BA1F876146.png
Views:	124
Size:	453.4 KB
ID:	612223

I'll probably check back on it in a week or so to ensure the temp is steady then let it go for the duration. Will keep posting with updates. Wish me luck!

Looks like you will be eating good about the end of January.

Comment

Let us know how it works out! I use the Umai system a lot. Was thinking I will soon turn one of my fermentation fridges into a dry aging machine. Yep, I am very familiar with StarSan.

Comment

Good luck.

Comment

I tried this method too...wrapped prime rib in cheese cloth for a week, trimmed, rubbed - then smoked in the KBQ and seared when it reached 120 degrees. Best cooked I’ve ever done!
          Attached Files

Comment

Nice! Merry Christmas!

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
            No announcement yet.
            Working...
            X
            false
            ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
            false
            false
            {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
            Yes
            ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
            /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here