Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Epicurious makes crispy skin chicken.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Epicurious makes crispy skin chicken.

Here's their take:

https://www.epicurious.com/expert-ad...U0MDM5NjIzNQS2

I think all of this has been posted here at some point, but it's all together in one article. Note they suggest cooking at 450*.

That's good because 450F and OFF are the only two temps my oven runs at...

Comment

Here is a Cast Iron Chicken that I do at 425 degrees. The skin is usually always nice and crisp. This meal makes my family smile.

I throw in some carrots,
      small potatoes, 1 lemon halved face down, 1 head of garlic face down. 1/2 stick of melted butter over the top. It makes an easy, crazy good 1 pan meal in a very short time.

The liquid at the bottom can also make a very tasty pan sauce. Deglaze with white wine, squeeze some of the lemon and garlic, reduce by 1/2. Add chicken stock, reduce a little.....Thicken if you so choose....Viola..a quick killer pan sauce.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2134.jpg
Views:	173
Size:	135.7 KB
ID:	603344

Comment

• troymeister
        troymeister commented
        Editing a comment
        klflowers This one I did in the oven. It was an after work easy meal to feed the family.

• klflowers
        klflowers commented
        Editing a comment
        Thanks. I’ll be doing this soon.

• CaptainMike
        CaptainMike commented
        Editing a comment
        Making it right now, I'll post pics on SUWYC.

Vertical roasting is never considered, even though it is the answer.

Comment

I found a recipe for cooking wings on my BGE @ 375 which produces carispy skin. 30 minutes indirect. Flip them for 20 minutes and ithen sauce for 10 minutes. Otherwise give the the full the additional 10 minutes without sauce. What I like about the recipe is that you don’t have to watch them closely.

Comment

Originally posted by troymeister View Post
          Here is a Cast Iron Chicken that I do at 425 degrees. The skin is usually always nice and crisp. This meal makes my family smile.

I throw in some carrots,
          small potatoes, 1 lemon halved face down, 1 head of garlic face down. 1/2 stick of melted butter over the top. It makes an easy, crazy good 1 pan meal in a very short time.

The liquid at the bottom can also make a very tasty pan sauce. Deglaze with white wine, squeeze some of the lemon and garlic, reduce by 1/2. Add chicken stock, reduce a little.....Thicken if you so choose....Viola..a quick killer pan sauce.

Name:	IMG_2134.jpg
Views:	173
Size:	135.7 KB
ID:	603344
          This was probably the tastiest chicken I've ever made. I cooked it on my Primo XL at 400f. Made a paste, rubbed the well brined chicken inside and out, under the skin and on top.cooked it on new potatoes, carrots, and head of garlic. Then I made a pan sauce to add back onto the whole shebang.

Name:	20181206_195648.jpg
Views:	126
Size:	98.8 KB
ID:	603725

Name:	20181206_201808.jpg
Views:	169
Size:	150.5 KB
ID:	603726

Comment

I do roast chickens at 425 in CI at least once a week. Skin always crispy. Almost always throw root veggies/potatoes in the pan too. I then make a pan sauce and it’s great. I found the key for me is letting the chicken spend at least one day in the fridge airing out so all the moisture dries out on the skin.
            This week I mixed it up and did a buttermilk roasted chicken. I spatchcocked it too. The skin looks burnt but it tasted more caramelized. Definitely a winner. Definitely a winner.
            Attached Files
            Last edited by Sfdrew28; December 7, 2018, 12:36 PM.

Comment

• Attjack
              Attjack commented
              Editing a comment
              Nice.

Announcement

Collapse
          No announcement yet.
          Working...
          X
          false
          ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
          false
          false
          {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
          Yes
          ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
          /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here