Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Um....Turkey Stock?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Um....Turkey Stock?

I made a pot of turkey stock last night. When it was done I put the pot in the garage and went to bed. It was in the 20's today (all but 5 days this November in Michigan temperatures have been below average) and we just got home from a special event at the Zoo. When we got home I grabbed the stock pot so I could remove the strainer. It gave me some resistance initially but when it came out it made a funny suction noise. When I gazed into the pot I found myself staring at a pot of Jello. Those extra cold temps coupled with all of that gelatin from the bones....fortunately it will turn back to liquid when it's heated up. Regardless, I thought it looked hilarious, so I'm posting a picture of it.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1885.JPG
Views:	108
Size:	71.9 KB
ID:	598504

Mmmmmmmmm!!!!

Turkey Jello!

Comment

That's pure-D gold, Jeff.

My wife insists on cooking the turkey in an oven bag, and I insist on monitoring the internal breast temperature. As a result, we have a perfectly cooked turkey with lots of great seasoned bone broth.

Comment

Did this in my P-cooker with ground thighs and chopped up chicken wings, and it formed a solid jello in the fridge, which was then liquefied in some warm water, and combined with roux to make a gravy.

Comment

I have seen this too. Kinda weird looking when you first see it.

Comment

so how do you turn that into gravy? do you still need a roux or what?

Comment

• DeusDingo
              DeusDingo commented
              Editing a comment
              Potkettleblack so this turkey gel would be the fat, i use (for example) 4 TBSP of this and 4 TBSP flour, add stock (chicken?) and we have gravy. i don't have much experience in making gravy even though it's so simple so there's a lot of unspoken common sense i don't pick up on

• Dr ROK
              Dr ROK commented
              Editing a comment
              DeusDingo no, the turkey gel is actually turkey broth that has gelled due to being chilled. It's the result of it's high gelatin content from the initial cooking of the skin, meat, and bones. To make a roux, like Potkettleblack suggests, you heat 4 TBS of oil/fat and then mix in 4 TBS flour. Stir/whisk while cooking until it gets a golden brown or beige color. Then add the melted turkey gel.

• DeusDingo
              DeusDingo commented
              Editing a comment
              ah, ok, Dr ROK that makes sense. thanks for the clarification!

This is helpful when sealing up FoodSaver bags since the gelled liquid will not get sucked out and lost during the sealing process.

Comment

Turkey Stock isn't a good buy during the holidays. Wait till well after Easter, then sell early November.

Comment

Mine did the same thing this time. I made a crock pot full, 6Q I think, and used the turkey backbone, neck, and wing tips, plus I threw in a lb of chicken necks. Plus the regulary veggies and such. I ended up with 2Q of stock and put it in the fridge. 2 days later I pulled it out and wow! All gelatin! It made a GREAT gravy...just sayin!

Comment

I made turkey noodle soup tonight. When it warmed the jello transformed itself into a really rich broth. Very happy with the soup.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                  No announcement yet.
                  Working...
                  X
                  false
                  ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                  false
                  false
                  {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                  Yes
                  ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                  /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here