Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Thanksgiving Turkey on The Weber With Slow 'N Sear

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Thanksgiving Turkey on The Weber With Slow 'N Sear

I monitored cooking and turkey temperatures with the Thermo Works Smoke. The food picture is as follows: stuffing, green bean casserole, sweet potato casserole, Broccoli-Cheese casserole, giblet gravy, Turkey and rolls.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Thanksgiving Turkey on the Weber 003.JPG
Views:	867
Size:	127.5 KB
ID:	596414

Name:	Thanksgiving Turkey on the Weber 009.JPG
Views:	689
Size:	116.7 KB
ID:	596415

Yum. Looks perfect.

Comment

Congrats, Beautiful Job, Brother!

Th Morris Method!

Comment

Every time I starting getting the MCS itch, I cook something on my 26 inch kettle and am recentered. The kettle is like that 3-star athlete that everyone missed on but then goes on to kill it in college and then gets drafted in the first round of the NFL draft.

Comment

• FishTalesNC
          FishTalesNC commented
          Editing a comment
          Well put!

• RustyHaines
          RustyHaines commented
          Editing a comment
          All the more reason for a 26" Performer, eh?

• ColonialDawg
          ColonialDawg commented
          Editing a comment
          The 26 inch Weber Kettle (paired with SNS) is just an unbeatable combination. I have a family of 6 and it is more than adequate.

Nice food spread. Happy thanksgiving.

Comment

What a feast! Congrats.

Kathryn

Comment

Nice looking bird and spread!

Comment

Well done.

Comment

Yum.

Comment

Looking ahead to Thanksgiving 2019, I have been searching the free site and Pitmaster Club for smoked turkey with a Weber Grill and Slow'N'Sear. It seems to be hinted at that one could smoke on the lower level (without the top grate) and therefore fit in a whole turkey instead of the spatchcocked version. This would be sweet, but I don't really see a way to catch the drippings without rigging something up.

Since I'm thinking the answer will be "forget about it!", I figured I would check here first before starting a thread that results in the same answer. Thoughts?

I'm fine with spatchcocking if that is the best way to go.

Comment

• texastweeter
                    texastweeter commented
                    Editing a comment
                    cooks much more evenly that way.

• mountainsmoker
                    mountainsmoker commented
                    Editing a comment
                    MarkN you can do up to about a 20lb turkey on the upper grill. I routinely do a 16-17lb one, which will feed 6-8. At 300 degrees it is done in about 3.5-4 hours . I use cherry wood which gives a sweet flavor to the meat.

@MarkN I spatchcocked mine last year and it turned out wonderful. Hardly had any leftovers damn it. Of course family members kept stuffing some in baggie when I wasn't looking.

Brined 1 hour per pound. Rubbed with seasoning. Into YS640 @275F. Basted with butter. Rested and ate with a cranberry & spice sauce with all the usual stuff.

Comment

• mountainsmoker
                    mountainsmoker commented
                    Editing a comment
                    ofelles don't brine a turkey unless it is a fresh one. 99% of grocery store turkeys are already injected with a solution up to 10-15%. Found this out a few years ago from another source when my turkeys were tasting over salted.

I now make a Simon & Garfunkle rub with butter and spread it under the skin of the breast, thighs, legs and rub the interior with it. This leaves the skin nice and crispy smoked at 300 degrees.

• ofelles
                    ofelles commented
                    Editing a comment
                    mountainsmoker I get a Willy Bird it's fresh frozen local so not a problem. Thanks

Did a practice run with a chicken. Oh, yeah. This is the way to go for Thanksgiving (but with a turkey).

Name:	chicken.JPG
Views:	636
Size:	133.4 KB
ID:	737071

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                  No announcement yet.
                  Working...
                  X
                  false
                  ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                  false
                  false
                  {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                  Yes
                  ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                  /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here