Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

150 vs 165

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

150 vs 165

what are people cooking their turkeys to? I’ve seen 165 from the USDA but guys like Rick Bayless and Cedric Maupiier do it till 150, making sure it spends the 4 mins or so at that temp to pasteurize it and kill the salmonella. What does everyone do?

I pull it at 160 for the white meat. Get a few degrees of carry over. Less than that and I think the meat is a bit rubbery.

Comment

Pull at 160 and don’t even think about it. Carry over will take to 165.

Comment

160 breast all day err day.

Comment

This is such a hot topic that my wife of 15+ years and I had the umpteenth discussion about "done or raw" again a few hours ago. She ended it saying "you don't eat the white meat anyway"! There might be reasons! ;-)

Comment

White meat: 160-165 (for safety)
            Dark meat: 170-175 (it’s a texture thing)

Comment

Wun fiddy seems risky when 160 with a bit of carryover never fails.

Comment

160* in the breast, and rest at least 40 seconds.

Comment

I pulled at 161 degrees in the breast today because I cooked hot (350 degrees, with 450 degrees for the last 15 minutes to ensure crisp skin). If I cooked at a lower temperature, I would have been comfortable pulling at 155 - 160.

Comment

150+ for light. 165+ for dark. USDA is an instakill temp. I’m with Bayless all day every day.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                    No announcement yet.
                    Working...
                    X
                    false
                    ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                    false
                    false
                    {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                    Yes
                    ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                    /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here