Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Question about dry brine vs. wet brine...what about the sugar?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Question about dry brine vs. wet brine...what about the sugar?

Leading up to Thanksgiving, I've cooked a couple of turkeys to get into the swing of things. I used a wet brine the first time to aid in the thawing process, and I wet brined the second turkey because the first was delicious. I'm going to dry brine the turkey cooked on Thanksgiving, my question is what a out the sugar? I've used Simon & Garfunkel and will use it again for Thanksgiving, but should sugar be added to the rub if looking for a hint of sweetness?

Put it on before you put it on the smoker if ya want it. Sugar draws out moisture like salt, but doesn't bring it back in like salt. It can lower water activity, but adds little else with very little penetration.

Comment

• texastweeter
      texastweeter commented
      Editing a comment
      Yeah its pretty hydroscopic. Bet yall didnt know i retained any of them fancy words i got learnt in my higher educational days, di ya?

When I wet brine chickens or chicken pieces I like to use 1 cup salt + 1 cup sugar to every 1 gallon of water. I think it adds a nice subtle sweetness to the bird. I don't do much turkey, and I don't' remember if it added much to the last turkey I did. I guess it didn't hurt or I'd remember it. I don't add sugar to brining pork though, I found it useless really. Just my $.02.

Wet brining here in this context being very different than rubs containing sugar of course.

Comment

The sugar on pork is effective on chops as they will get direct heat and will aid in the sear. As for the turkey, uf you want a sweetness, add brown sugar to the bird just before adding to the pit. Be aware that there is a fine line. At 320 sugar will melt, but at 340, it will caramelize. A prolonged cook in excess of 340 Will cause it to burn. Myself, I use sugar in chicken rub but smoke at 325 and no higher. On turkey, it gets the boot.

Comment

When I started using a wet brine on turkeys 10'ish years ago, I used an Alton Brown recipe that includes honey. I switched to sugar soon after but have wondered if the honey brings any benefit to the game?

Comment

• texastweeter
          texastweeter commented
          Editing a comment
          well, for starters it is antimicrobial. It is also slightly acidic, but i bet there is not enough to let the acid work.

What about the sugar? Ya know what the Duke had to say about, don’ Ya?

Comment

• Donw
          Donw commented
          Editing a comment
          Boy you are racking my brain trying to remember this!. Mr Nightlinger made sugar t*ts for the boys and someone was sneaking sugar. I’m hoping someone chimes in so I can give my brain a rest. The one quote I do remember is "It’s not how you are buried, its how you are remembered."

• FireMan
          FireMan commented
          Editing a comment
          I’m going to let this one ferment awhile, then tell ya. Maybe.

Thanks everyone, y'all have been very helpful!

Comment

I have added apple juice to my wet brine for pork and poultry. I think just enough of the sugar pentrates the skin or outer layer and it makes a nice mahogany color to poultry especially. I also think it helps crisp up the skin. I use Oak Ridge BBQ's dry brine mix. Great stuff.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
          No announcement yet.
          Working...
          X
          false
          ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
          false
          false
          {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
          Yes
          ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
          /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here