Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Need Recipe Input - Smoked Filipino Chicken Adobo

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Need Recipe Input - Smoked Filipino Chicken Adobo

Hi all,

First time posting, but have been lurking on here for awhile. I'm in the mood to experiment, and wanted input. I'm going to try to add smoking to the process of making Filipino chicken adobo.

This dish is usually made by boiling chicken pieces (bone-in) in a combination of soy sauce, vinegar, & bay leaf. There are tons of variations. Many will first saute garlic and onions, then pan-fry the chicken first before adding the liquids and boiling.

Instead of pan-frying, I was thinking of smoking with a rub of kosher salt, fresh ground pepper, garlic and onion powder. Smoke low and slow until it comes close to 165, then boil in the liquids to finish. Conversely, I could boil it first, then finish it in the smoker.

Has anyone done something similar? Should I smoke first or last?

Thanks in advance for the suggestions!

Smoke first. Smoke sticks to cold n wet things. I would cook it at about 250-275f. Make sure the chicken is super cold (nearly frozen) when you biff it in the smoker to help it adhere.

Comment

Smoke first. If you've done the braise correctly, it will be exceedingly difficult to smoke afterwards.
      I don't even know that I'd take the chicken all the way to 165 ahead of the braise. I might smoke to 140 or so, then crank the heat to crisp the skin a bit before adding to the braise.

Comment

Let me be the 3rd to say "smoke first" ...

Comment

Awesome - thanks guys! Will do this then report back with the results

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
          No announcement yet.
          Working...
          X
          false
          ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
          false
          false
          {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
          Yes
          ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
          /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here