Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Did a 22.5 lb turkey on the Grand Slam on Friday

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Did a 22.5 lb turkey on the Grand Slam on Friday

I got drafted into smoking a turkey for our team's Thanksgiving potluck since the guy who usually does the turkey wasn't going to be able to make it. So, out with my original plan of doing pork belly burnt ends and in went doing a big turkey. I bought the bird on Tuesday (the day I found out), and sweated getting it defrosted in time... Friday morning I spatchcocked it, and learned that at almost 23 pounds, I should have used garden shears! πŸ˜‚

I couldn't fit a tray underneath this Godzilla of a turkey, so I wasn't able to make the gravy this time. It was 38F outside when I put the bird on at 7 am, setting the smoker to run at 170 to get some smoke flavor. At 8 am I cranked it up to 325, and at 11 am on the nose had both breasts and thighs above 160. I pulled it off the grill, loaded it on a tray and drove to the pot luck. I got lots of kudos, so I must have done something right. πŸ‘

As you can see, a 22.5 lb bird fills up the Grand Slam!

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20181116_084432.jpg
Views:	146
Size:	231.5 KB
ID:	594050

Sweet. I'm doing two 14 pounders Sunday on the Grid Iron. Probably set the controller at 300-325 in order to run 350 at "turkey level."

Comment

• Corvus
      Corvus commented
      Editing a comment
      Hey Jerod.......please give a report afterwards...........thanks

That's a great looking bird.

Comment

Andice changed the POP sign - lowered it to 7 I think? When I moved out...

BIG bird! That's a nice lookin' cook.

Comment

Congrats on a successful cook.

Comment

Fantastic cook... nicely done! :-)

How long have you had your Blazn pellet muncher? Has a been a good and reliable cooker?

Comment

• AmosMoses01
            AmosMoses01 commented
            Editing a comment
            Thanks! I got it in the middle of August this year, and it has been great! The only hiccup I had was on one cook the WiFi didn't connect, but I'm 99% sure that it was due to the antenna being loose. Overall, I'm surprised at how efficient it is across a wide ambient temperature range. I did get the insulated lid, which is probably why. I've been super happy with it. πŸ‘

• rwalters
            rwalters commented
            Editing a comment
            Awesome! Do you use it as a grill to, or just low-n-slow/roasting?

• AmosMoses01
            AmosMoses01 commented
            Editing a comment
            The hottest I have used it for was with the turkey. I have a Weber Genesis gasser that pulls grilling duty.

That’s a big bird! Much larger and you will need a Gridiron.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
          No announcement yet.
          Working...
          X
          false
          ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
          false
          false
          {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
          Yes
          ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
          /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here