Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Turkey oven temperature -- 325 degrees?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Turkey oven temperature -- 325 degrees?

I know this site suggests a 325 oven temp. Does anybody do it hotter? I'm roasting my turkey in separate pieces and most websites say 400-425 degrees. Seems like that's way too hot, but I'm seeing that number all over the Internet. Thoughts? As always, thank for all the knowledge!

I've never done turkey that hot but have done smaller cuts of poultry; chicken, game hens, wings, at temps up to 500*. My only concern with a turkey, depending on its size of course, is burning the skin before the internal temperature of the deepest part of the turkey was reached. Otherwise anything between 350-400* should work just fine. Remember, the hotter the temp the crispier the skin, just don't want surpass crispy !!!

Comment

Originally posted by Troutman View Post
      I've never done turkey that hot but have done smaller cuts of poultry; chicken, game hens, wings, at temps up to 500*. My only concern with a turkey, depending on its size of course, is burning the skin before the internal temperature of the deepest part of the turkey was reached. Otherwise anything between 350-400* should work just fine. Remember, the hotter the temp the crispier the skin, just don't want surpass crispy !!!
      Thanks! I'm doing an 18 pound turkey, but after cutting it up before cooking, it'll be less. Is there a chance that cooking it at 325* won't be hot enough to crisp the skin? I know there are many different ways to cook a turkey, but I'm always surprised that people talk about cooking it anywhere from 325-400. For an average sized bird, it seems like there would be more of a definitive temp to get moist meat and crispy skin.

Comment

• EdF
        EdF commented
        Editing a comment
        I guess it depends on how separate the pieces are, and what they are. For a whole turkey, I often jack the temp up towards 450F before putting it in, then drop to 325 after 15 minutes (in an oven - using an outdoor machine gets a different treatment).

The lower temp is to get the whole thing cooked without burning the skin. The initial high temp is to get the maillard reaction started.

If using an oven for a fairly large bird, I usually go 300 to 350. I usually start at the lower temp, the turn the heat up as the bird gets close to the right temperature. The bird will be in long enough to crisp the skin. For a small bird or parts I would go a bit hotter.

Comment

I spatchcock my birds now. I’ve used a higher temp with the bird laid out but not 400. As suggested, I think turning up the heat or the broiler near the end to crisp up the skin would work well. I’m always surprised I keep from poisoning my family and friends that I don’t worry about the skin.

Comment

Don’t forget the broil setting. You can always blast the turkey on the high setting to crisp the skin up.

When I use the broiler I keep the oven door opened slightly (the oven door should have a setting that keeps it slightly open) and watch it. Be ready to cut off the heat and remove the bird when it reaches the point you want. You can go from "that looks great" to "getting a little dark" to "oh crap FIRE" quickly.

This year im using my Primo in wood fired oven mode. So I will be at 325 for the cook. I can always crank the heat up towards the end if necessary, but it is harder to crank down the heat in my cooker.

Comment

• Smoking77
            Smoking77 commented
            Editing a comment
            Great idea, thanks!

Originally posted by snowswamp View Post
          I spatchcock my birds now. I’ve used a higher temp with the bird laid out but not 400. As suggested, I think turning up the heat or the broiler near the end to crisp up the skin would work well. I’m always surprised I keep from poisoning my family and friends that I don’t worry about the skin.
          I hear ya! According to my family, either I've undercooked the turkey and I'm trying to kill them, or I've overcooked it and I'm trying to ruin Thanksgiving. That's why I'm doing a cut-up bird this time. I get to pull pieces from the oven when they're finished. Or, that's the hope!

Comment

Last few years I've spatchcocked my turkey and cooked in a 450 oven per Serious Eats and its turned out great every time. By spatchcocking, the legs and thighs get to 170ish the same time the breast is 150ish. The skin turns out awesome at that heat which is why you see those recommendations. As long as you use a thermometer and temp the meat regularly, you should be fine. A lower heat will give you more leeway and possibly slightly juicier meat at the finish temp but at the detriment to the skin

If you are cooking a whole bird, I can see how 400-450 would be too hot as the thighs would be a bit shielded from the heat, especially if you use a deep roasting pan.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
            No announcement yet.
            Working...
            X
            false
            ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
            false
            false
            {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
            Yes
            ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
            /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here