Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Transporting turkey

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Transporting turkey

So I've been asked by my sister to smoke a turkey for Thanksgiving. My brother in law will be frying one as well. I plan to smoke it at home in the PBC, then bring it to their house which is about 10 minutes away. My concern however, is that it will be done too early and have to sit around for a while before the other turkey is done. What is the best way to keep the meat moist and the skin crispy? I feel like a faux cambrio would be too humid and make the skin rubbery. Any thoughts?

Any chance of taking your PBC there since it is not far? Or Cambro it and use some of his hot oil to re-crisp it.

Comment

• Polarbear777
      Polarbear777 commented
      Editing a comment
      Definitely use the hot oil to crisp the skin right before service. A half sheet pan with a cooling rack will work. Just pour the hot oil slowly over (outside is best, you willl splash a little).

• goosebr160
      goosebr160 commented
      Editing a comment
      Oakgrovebacon my wife would rather I smoke it at home so we don't have to go to my sister's house earlier. Im still trying to convince her I should smoke it there though. We'll see.
      Using the oil from the fryer is genius. I will definitely try that if I smoke at home and cambro.

This is something I'm looking at too, but my distance is a lot farther. Want to bring in a smoked turkey in my WSM for an office function that doesn't start until 11 AM and there's nothing on-site to either cook a bird or help keep a bird warm. Office is 40 minutes from home, I have to be at work by 8, and I'd rather not food-poison my co-workers. (Yeah, not even that one guy. It's the holiday season after all.)

Maybe I'm better off just breaking down the WSM, taking it to work, and smoking the bird there in the parking lot? Or do I go with planning to have the bird done at 7:30 and keep it warm in a faux Cambro for 3.5 hours until serving time? I've never had a turkey ready THAT early before.

Comment

• avgfop
      avgfop commented
      Editing a comment
      I'm thinking of doing something similar. Smoking the bird to about 145, put in a faux Cambro for 3.5 hours, taking it to my Aunt's house and putting it in the oven or indirect grill at high heat to crisp up the skin. I figure with carry over and the high heat at the end the internal temperature should be good.

I don't know how much trouble it is to transport a WSM but it would seem to be doing it on site would be the way to go. It's also fun to put on a "show" since most people are used to birds coming out of an oven. For a prep table use one of those portable tables that have extendable legs so you're at countertop height.

Comment

• EdF
      EdF commented
      Editing a comment
      And as they smell it cooking, the anticipation will rise to make it the best turkey ever!

Yeah and having to tend the fire in the back lot might get me out of some work.

Breaking down a WSM isn't much trouble...just kinda dirty because I don't have a pickup. But I think y'all have convinced me and I'll just cook it on-site.

As for prep-tables, YES. I bought a couple of 3-level adjustable-height folding tables a couple of years ago for non-cooking needs and they are great for food prep.

Comment

• EdF
      EdF commented
      Editing a comment
      Well, somebody's got to "tend the temps"!

• N227GB
      N227GB commented
      Editing a comment
      Don't tell anyone that your temp gauge has a remote!

When I transport my PBCjr I pull a clean sheet of cardboard from the recycling dumpster for the trunk of my car.

• RonB
      RonB commented
      Editing a comment
      I don't have a WSM, but if it breaks down into small enough pieces, you could bag the parts in large trash bags for transport. The should help with keeping your vehicle clean.

My parents will be picking up my PBC this weekend. I did the cambro thing a couple of years ago and the skin lost some of its crispiness. We don't eat the skin so it's purely eye-candy, but optics matter too.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
    No announcement yet.
    Working...
    X
    false
    ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
    false
    false
    {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
    Yes
    ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
    /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here