Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Best way to collect turkey drippings?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Best way to collect turkey drippings?

It's fast approaching that time again! So I plan on doing a turkey on my kettle for the first time (on the kettle). Not at all worried about it as I've followed Meathead's guidelines with excellent success the last 3 years. I usually do two 15lb birds for quicker cook times and twice the legs. This year the wife wants to stuff a bird like she use to (traditional oven deal) before I discovered The Pit. She says she misses the flavor of the stuffing from inside the turkey. I figured she can do and be responsible for that bird and I'll spatchcock/kettle the other one. Then I realized what if I collect the juices from the practice run I plan on doing this weekend and save them for here to add to whatever stuffing she wants to make?

So with that, what's the best way to collect turkey juices in my kettle in terms of not burning it? Add water or chicken stock to the pan? Or will a dry pan collect it without burning it?

I would add water or stock. Without it, the drippings may dry out. You can always reduce it on the stove it there is too much liquid. You could add veggies to the pan for more flavor if desired.

And don't forget there will b e drippings in the cavity, so be careful when moving the cooked turkey.

Comment

You can collect them in a dry pan. Keep in mind though that they will be smokey in flavor. 2 years ago I used the kettle drippings in the gravy and the gravy ended up smokey in flavor which I felt was off-putting.

Cooks Illustrated came up with a neat trick for the stuffing. Take a bunch of turkey legs and poke holes in them with the tip of a knife. Lay your stuffing out in a shallow roasting pan and place the turkey legs on top of the stuffing. The turkey juices will provide that authentic stuffed-bird taste without going through the difficulties of stuffing a bird (which can take longer for the bird to come to temp and thus increase the likelihood of a dried out bird, etc). If you like a bit of crunch to your stuffing simply remove the legs a few minutes before finishing the stuffing and then blast the broiler. I've prepared stuffing in this manner and it came out great.

Comment

• Rod
        Rod commented
        Editing a comment
        JeffJ Good point. I love smoke flavor obviously, but haven't had it in gravy or stuffing. Sounds like it would be good though.

• RonB
        RonB commented
        Editing a comment
        I also don't care for smokey gravy - either beef or poultry.

• JGo37
        JGo37 commented
        Editing a comment
        You know, I'm going to do this with a package of wings and legs. Thanks Jeff!

Then there's this "start to finish" approach, developed over 15+ years of spousal holiday turkey constraints. Always excellent. https://pitmaster.amazingribs.com/fo...ockwell-turkey

While it refers to the BGE in a few places, it can be easily adapted. Last year it was in the oven.

Well, I lied - usually "finish" is turkey tetrazzini!
      Last edited by EdF; October 30, 2018, 01:14 PM.

Comment

• EdF
        EdF commented
        Editing a comment
        tdimond - but you wouldn't have that with the kettle and a drip pan. PBC does special things with the drippings.

• tdimond
        tdimond commented
        Editing a comment
        EdF yeah, I get that. I was just trying to come up with the closest thing I could for comparison.

In other news, we're supposed to do Thanksgiving at my in-laws this year, and the latest update on preparations was not encouraging. I haven't gotten the heebie-jeebies yet, but . . .

• EdF
        EdF commented
        Editing a comment
        tdimond - that can often be scary! But it will be a challenge and opportunity to blow it away too!

For your original question, follow Meathead's approach and put some stock in the drip pan first.

Comment

My wife, long ago, came up with the stuffing and turkey gravy solution. I smoke the turkey and she buys turkey parts which she cooks hot and fast and then puts in a Dutch oven, adding a little stock as she goes to make the base for her gravy and the moisture for her stuffing, which she bakes in a casserole dish.

Comment

• Rod
          Rod commented
          Editing a comment
          Interesting. Don't think she will want to use a Dutch oven though, but maybe the Instant Pot we just bought could be an option.

• tbob4
          tbob4 commented
          Editing a comment
          Rod - the Instant Pot idea sounds great!

• EdF
          EdF commented
          Editing a comment
          Sounds like a good solution to me.

I miss the days when stove top and a jar of gravy where all you needed...

Comment

• EdF
          EdF commented
          Editing a comment
          "Some days the magic happens; some days it don't"!

Here's a full proof method .....

Comment

I'm 100% certain the drippings from my two Thanksgiving turkeys will have so much salt it will start coming out of solution. I can't wait!

Comment

'
            Best way to collect turkey drippings?'

Follow the turkeys and wear gloves...

Comment

Any suggestions about how much chicken stock or water to start off with the drip pan? Ready to do a test run tomorrow.

Comment

• Jerod Broussard
                Jerod Broussard commented
                Editing a comment
                I'm using plenty. I can then cook it down to taste afterwards.

I’m going to use Meathead’s "ultimate turkey" gravy recipie and place the drip pan directly on my kanado heat plates. With crushed alumimum foil balls as a spacer to keep stuff from boiling away. The heat deflectors on a ceramic grill get HOT.

Comment

• Rod
                Rod commented
                Editing a comment
                So the foil balls between the deflector and bottom of the pan?

Yea. Going to put 5 foil balls of roughly the same size, place them on a level floor, put a plank of wood over the balls, then walk around on the plank. That should mush them down to roughly equal thickness. Then place the crushed balls in an X pattern in the heat plates.

I am thinking that will work out perfectly.
              Last edited by SmokeyGator; November 13, 2018, 09:48 PM.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
              No announcement yet.
              Working...
              X
              false
              ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
              false
              false
              {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
              Yes
              ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
              /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here