Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Make-ahead Turkey

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Make-ahead Turkey

This Thanksgiving the kids are coming over for dinner, but likely the day after (Friday). In past years that's not been any problem, but now that I am back in retail, I will have to work until 5:30pm that day. Usually I will smoke a turkey on the Rec Tec, but the timing won't work this time.

So I want to make the turkey the day before. What are folks' strategies for reheating the bird or pieces and not having a dry turkey?

I would definitely part it out. Might even go the sous vide que route.

Comment

• mgaretz
      mgaretz commented
      Editing a comment
      Sous vide for cooking or reheating?

I'd probably carve the bird, vacuum seal in "portions", e.g., remove the two breasts intact and seal in two separate bags ... same for other parts of the bird. SV on the day to be served to at least 160, dry thoroughly, and use a torch (like my Searzall) to crisp up the skin before final slicing and serving.

Comment

How big a turkey are you doing? I spatchcock them and roast them indirect at 325 and a 15 pounder takes about 2.5 hours. If I’m not serving right away I double wrap in in foil and put it in a cooler (faux cambro) and they stay hot for about 3 hours. Would that work for you?

Comment

• mgaretz
        mgaretz commented
        Editing a comment
        Sorry, no, as I won't get home until 6pm and that would make dinner close to 9pm.

Show your kids how to fire up the Rec Tec and get them to put the bird on before you get home. You should be fine to do the prep the night before.

Comment

Make sure you have lots of gravy in case it dries out.

Comment

Unfortunately Turkey and chicken chemically change substantially after cooling down, refrigerating and warming up. I will not eat left over refrigerated chicken and turkey, tastes like paper the next day. As long as you do not expect "right off the pit" flavor you should be as good as it will get if you heat in the oven and not the micro!

Comment

Can you find turkey breasts? The difference in smoking a whole turkey (10 hours really low and slow) and a nice big fat breast (4 hours tops) is significant. If I were to inject a little more and turn up the temp I am sure I could get the breast down to two hours with great results. Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0583-2.JPG
Views:	134
Size:	196.9 KB
ID:	579171

Comment

• mgaretz
              mgaretz commented
              Editing a comment
              I don't cook turkeys low and slow, but at about 375F.

• Mr. Bones
              Mr. Bones commented
              Editing a comment
              Nice Job, Great lookin food, Brother!

Got me givin Thanks, an I ain't even nowhere near ya!!!!
              Last edited by Mr. Bones; October 15, 2018, 08:48 PM.

• tbob4
              tbob4 commented
              Editing a comment
              Mr. Bones - Every time I see one of your posts, I give Thanks!

Announcement

Collapse
          No announcement yet.
          Working...
          X
          false
          ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
          false
          false
          {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
          Yes
          ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
          /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here