Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

My first turkey on my pellet cooker

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

My first turkey on my pellet cooker

I cooked a ~15 lb. turkey yesterday on my Camp Chef pellet grill. Followed Meathead's recipeas closely as I could. Spatchcocked the bird, put a drip pan full of liquids, mire pix, and miscellaneous meat pieces under it. Cooked at 225° for 30 minutes to generate lots of smoke and thn shifted up to 325°. Took quite a bit longer than I'd expected. At about 3 hours I thought I was done until I probed the part of the breast under the armpit and found it to be only 147°. Cooked it for another hour or so to bring it up to 160°. The bird came out deliscious but he skin, while pretty, could have been used to make shoes out of. Very tough. Had some of the turkey last night in a pasta salad and tonight it's going to be in turkey pot pie. I did get a photo at the beginning of the cook but, as usual, I neglected to get a finished one before I cut it all up.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0046.JPG
Views:	141
Size:	129.3 KB
ID:	570273

I would try to cook Hot and fast. (350 F+) This should help to crisp up the skin. Also, you could throw the bird over a charcoal fire to crisp up the skin at the end. Just make sure to spray the grate with oil to prevent the skin from searing to the grate!

Good looking cook!

Comment

Try turkey tetrazzini with the leftovers some time. You won't regret it. Cream/wine sauce, mushrooms, parmesan, pasta!

Comment

• sryoder
        sryoder commented
        Editing a comment
        Yum! I think there may still be plenty of leftovers for that. I'm cooking the pot pie tonight on the pellet cooker to keep the heat out of the house.

You’ve got the legs tucked up against the breast, that’s probably why you found a cooler spot in the armpit. If you turn the leg/thigh 90 degrees, it won’t be overlapping the breast.

Comment

• sryoder
        sryoder commented
        Editing a comment
        I was having trouble picturing this until I went back and looked at a picture of a Meathead spatchcocked turkey. You are right, that would have probably helped a lot. Thanks.

Announcement

Collapse
    No announcement yet.
    Working...
    X
    false
    ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
    false
    false
    {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
    Yes
    ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
    /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here