Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Thanksgiving Turkey-Off

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Thanksgiving Turkey-Off

My wife has challenged me to a Thanksgiving turkey cook off where the family votes on which they like better (the loser has to clean up afterwards). My wife is an excellent cook so I need to dial it up a notch.

Initially, I'm thinking of smoking my own bacon a couple days before and then draping it over the turkey like a little bacon quilt so all that nice flavor gets in. I'm interested in getting more ideas/techniques from the pit crew here on what can help me win this little friendly competition.

We did something similar at Christmas last year with rib roast. I advise you to find a way to get out of this competition.
    Even though she didn't say anything at the time, I know she was hurt. "I can't compete with your dear. I'll do the clean up"

Comment

• panteracfh3
      panteracfh3 commented
      Editing a comment
      I told her I wasn't at her cooking level but I'd do it anyway. It's likely I'll do the cleanup regardless of the outcome!

I agree anytime it turns into a competition between loved ones and such it can turn into a disaster. What I would do is cook one long before and let her taste it and have her decide which one she likes better, you still get your cook in and on today you get the better of the 2. If you do any type of parties for football it would be a good time to try it

Comment

Originally posted by panteracfh3 View Post
      Initially, I'm thinking of smoking my own bacon a couple days before and then draping it over the turkey like a little bacon quilt so all that nice flavor gets in.
      Turkey skin is notoriously impermeable. I would put the bacon under the skin. Thin slices of bacon, so as not to screw up carving.

If you're doing it on the grill, either spatchcock, vertical roast (no beer can), or rotisserie. Light smoke, something sweet, like fruit wood or maple. Inject. It's a mild meat, so you cam pump the volume on the flavor a bit.

If you had a sous vide rig, I'd recommend breaking the bird down into a breast crown, wings and drumsticks and thighs. I'd sous vide confit the thighs, smoke the legs Disney style, do something like tandoori for the wings, and and do a straight sous vide-smoke roast on the crown.

ChefSteps is here to make cooking more fun. Get recipes, tips, and videos that show the whys behind the hows for sous vide, grilling, baking, and more.

This tested recipe reproduces the monster turkey legs you see if you visit any of the Disney parks where you will see folks stumbling around with delirious smiles. The secret to success is curing then smoking the giant turkey legs. This recipe also works fine with chicken legs, though they will cook faster.

ChefSteps is here to make cooking more fun. Get recipes, tips, and videos that show the whys behind the hows for sous vide, grilling, baking, and more.

Sth like that.

Comment

• EdF
        EdF commented
        Editing a comment
        Yowza!

• shify
        shify commented
        Editing a comment
        Agree re: turkey skin but wouldn't use both the skin and bacon because one of the two (or worse, both) won't crisp. I would remove the skin altogether and cook separately sandwiched between two baking sheets. I did a sous vide turkey breast last year and removed and cooked the skin that way and the skin came out awesome... basically turkey bacon

I like the idea above of doing a turkey before thanksgiving and letting her decide. Whenever you do it, I like to spatchcock it, put some Simon and Garfunkle under the breast skin, inject with melted butter and smear butter all over the skin. Then I fire roast it at 325 with a little apple or cherry for smoke, till breast internal is 160. If she can beat that with hers, start cleaning up!

Comment

I generally like to spatchcock a turkey too. But if you want total dominance, try this one: https://pitmaster.amazingribs.com/fo...ockwell-turkey

It hits the American in people.

Comment

• klflowers
          klflowers commented
          Editing a comment
          EdF, I usually smoke turkeys a several times a year and I never spatchcock them - my wife like the bird whole. But mine have never looked quite that good. I will be running a test as soon as I can, and I think this will become my holiday go to. Thanks for writing that up.

• EdF
          EdF commented
          Editing a comment
          I think you'll enjoy it, especially in a relaxed state of mind. But hey, nothing else is ever ready when the turkey is!

Last Christmas I decided I wanted to smoke a turkey, my wife did her normal in the roaster, I brined mine for 24 hrs or so, put it on the smoker first thing, getting close to dinner time wife realized she forgot to plug in the roaster, well they still got done pretty close to the same time. But now I am stuck smoking a turkey every Christmas, lol, if I recall I rubbed it under the skin w kickin chicken

Comment

I am a turkey purist. Less is more, if you ask me.

That said smoked trukey is really hard to beat. Lots of turkeys are pre-brined, if yours says something about being injected it’s brined. Otherwise, do brine it (wet brine in a GOOD cooler with ice water is good). I have a Yeti and Rtic so no problem keeping it safely cold.

For flavor injection I go light. This year I’m thinking apple juice in a blender with garlic and just a slight hint of cinnamon and cloves. Because holidays. Or possibly try spiced rum. I’m on the fence there. And just a little salt with black pepper for the skin rub.

Then smoke it at oven temperatures to crisp the skin.

Comment

• Potkettleblack
            Potkettleblack commented
            Editing a comment
            I did one with apple juice and milk that was bomb. You don’t want to mess with the flavor of the turkey too much.

• SmokeyGator
            SmokeyGator commented
            Editing a comment
            Yea. I’m thinking. Whatever I use, it will be watered down. I wouldn’t go with full strength Apple juice. I used white wine once, that was good - but New is always fun.

I wouldn't do bacon wrapped over the turkey. Most people want turkey to taste like turkey, not bacon. Put bacon in the green beans or the potato salad. Cooking the turkey on the grill/smoker will give it enough of that kiss of smoke. Just my 2 cents.

Comment

Smo fry dat bird
            Them folks I cook turkey for
            love em some jalapeño butter injected smoked and then deep fried to crisp the skin
            I win every year

Comment

• SmokeyGator
              SmokeyGator commented
              Editing a comment
              Fried turkey is very hard to beat. But I don’t wanna buy gallons of peanut oil. Also I’m not sure where my frying kit is.

Thanks for all the advice everyone. I may use the smoked bacon as part of the stuffing but not on the bird directly.

Comment

This seems like one of those times when you lose, even if you win.

Comment

• SmokeyGator
                  #10.1
                  SmokeyGator commented
                  Yesterday, 06:57 AM
                  Fried turkey is very hard to beat. But I don’t wanna buy gallons of peanut oil. Also I’m not sure where my frying kit is.
                • This is the price of VICTORY

Comment

I've got three words for you - Turducken.

Comment

Turduckhen was our meat on Pitmasters Season 2
                    man what a pain

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                    No announcement yet.
                    Working...
                    X
                    false
                    ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                    false
                    false
                    {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                    Yes
                    ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                    /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here