Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Vortexin’

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Vortexin’

I got some thighs to try out the Vortex, because I really want to know, is this something I’m going to use a couple times, or is it going to be a regular use thing?

Verdict: for full on chicken, with skin and bone, it is pretty awesome. For boneless skinless, there is a slight learning curve.

I did four thighs, and six boneless skinless thighs (because that’s how they were packaged). The regular thighs I put in a bag with some vegetable oil and some Owens BBQ wing rub that came in the shipment; the boneless skinless I did with bbq sauce and Italian dressing. With a Performer Platinum I lit a fully loaded Vortex with the gas assist, and when the fire was roaring I arranged the pieces around the outside. I left both vents fully open, and put a chunk of wood over the fire. The instructions for wings say they take an hour, and to rotate the lid every 15 minutes, but I rotated it about every 5 minutes, figuring what difference does it make.

At about 25 minutes I checked the bird parts, and man, they were DONE. The regulars were just starting to blacken, in fact, and the b/s were blackened at the edges. And I hadn’t even put the vegetables on! (I was cutting the watermelon.) I shut the vents put the veggies on, and tonged the chicken into bowls.

The regular, I did two pieces with wing sauce and two pieces with white sauce. The b/s I left alone, Mrs Mosca likes them just like that.

Verdict: the regular pieces were AWESOME. The skin was crispy, the meat was juicy. For me, chicken is about 50%-60% as satisfying as beef or pork; this was as satisfying as beef and pork. The other ones, I didn’t try. But Mrs proclaimed them tender and juicy.

Will the Vortex be used as a regular part of my repertoire? If this is any indication, I say, yes. For b/s, I don’t think it is better or worse than my usual method of raised direct on the BGE. But for getting that crisp skin/juicy meat sweet spot on regular chicken, first time, I hand it all to the tool.

Either put more wood chunks on, or don’t put any on. I couldn’t taste any smoke at all.

Click image for larger version  Name:	659ADEBB-6FA5-4CE6-A6BC-3806380E3533.jpeg Views:	1 Size:	2.17 MB ID:	555144Click image for larger version  Name:	3BE94413-2BEA-4EA5-9CF9-22E238BFCA87.jpeg Views:	1 Size:	1.96 MB ID:	555145

Stupid me, rereading the instructions it says to open the top fully, and the bottom 1/3. That would make a difference.

Comment

• HawkerXP
      HawkerXP commented
      Editing a comment
      Nobody reads directions!

I love using the Vortex for chicken wings. I too like to arrange them around the outside of the Vortex and I run my vents about 3/4 open. (I use my Broil King Keg) Once then chicken reaches about 150 F, I like to either sauce them or hit them with some oil and then throw them over the blazing Vortex fire. I generally have a piece of oak on the fire too, right before I roll the chicken over the direct heat. I love when the chicken is cooking right next to the burning wood, I think it imparts some killer flavor, in my experience anyway.

I LOVE the smell these cooks put out, and the Vortex is a blast to run. I don't use it much, but only because the Hibachi so easy to fire up and uses less fuel.

Nice write up and thanks for taking us along!

Comment

You sure know how to lay some sauce down!!

Comment

That is a great tool, and thanks for sharing! The wings look awesome.

Comment

Stop tempting me.

Comment

• Mosca
            Mosca commented
            Editing a comment
            It’s only $40.

• LA Pork Butt
            LA Pork Butt commented
            Editing a comment
            Mosca I do have a birthday coming up. What size did you get? Did you try it on your BGE yet?

• Mosca
            Mosca commented
            Editing a comment
            I got the medium. They recommend the small for the LBGE. The medium will fit under the grate, but the opening leaves little room for anything around the edges. I thought about it for a couple weeks, and decided that I wasn’t going to be vortexing on two devices at once.

I have a Vortex, and it is one of the best kettle accessories I ever purchased. On my 26" kettle I can load up SERIOUSLY large amounts of chicken! I didn't usually use a full load on the 22", but I do on the 26. The Vortex is king for chicken. Oh, and that plate looks awesome!

Comment

Interesting that you can use your gas assist (SnapJet Ignition) on the Performer to light your Vortex. On my WSCGC, there is too much distance between them, I thought, so I jetissoned that idea (pun intended) early on . I may try it, though, next time instead of using a chimney.

Why do you say that the boneless skinless need more work? Did I miss that? What would you do differently next time with them? My goal is to use the Vortex for all my chicken parts cooks. My husband likes boneless skinless chicken pieces, so that's why I ask. Right now I'm doing the b/s pieces on the PBC because they always turn out juicy.

Kathryn

Comment

• Mosca
              Mosca commented
              Editing a comment
              I think the boneless skinless got done too fast because I left both vents fully open. But, they are much thinner than full thighs, and even wings, so they need closer attention. My go-to for thighs is BGE with the cooking grid raised, I don’t think the Vortex will beat that.

Great work Mosca !! About to post a Vortex cook I did last night. That little accessory is the bomb !!!

Comment

• Mosca
              Mosca commented
              Editing a comment
              I’ll look for your report!

• fzxdoc
              fzxdoc commented
              Editing a comment
              Thanks to you, Troutman, I discovered the wonders of chicken with the Vortex.

K.

I was not sure that I needed another cooking accessory around so as an experiment I spent $1 on an angel food cake pan at a second hand store. With a little modification it served the purpose. Now, it's the only way we cook chicken parts. I want to be part of the cool guys so I stepped up and ordered a real vortex.

Comment

I think what the Vortex does is maximizes useful area while also maintaining even heat distribution. There’s nothing magic, it’s just a really excellent idea put into production at a reasonable cost. I’ll put it right up there with the S&S. Highly recommended.

Comment

Mosca, I Think You HVe To Many Btiuqets In Your Vortex For Most Cooks❓ I Generally Use A Compact Weber Chimney Full Of KBB CHARCOAL❗️ I Also Use The Propane Igniter On My Weber Performer Deluxe To Light The Coals In The Chimney❗️ I Generally HVe My Smoking Wood In A Compact Bread Pan Directly Over The Vortex‼️ It Can Be Moved To The Side When It's Time To Sear And Sauce‼️
                I Love The Vortex❗️ From Backyard Cremator IN Fargo ND, Dan

Click image for larger version  Name:	image.jpeg Views:	2 Size:	1,012.3 KB ID:	555506Click image for larger version  Name:	image.jpeg Views:	4 Size:	986.5 KB ID:	555508Click image for larger version  Name:	image.jpeg Views:	3 Size:	1.02 MB ID:	555507

Click image for larger version  Name:	image.jpg Views:	1 Size:	678.8 KB ID:	555511Click image for larger version  Name:	image.jpg Views:	1 Size:	584.1 KB ID:	555512Click image for larger version  Name:	image.jpg Views:	2 Size:	781.0 KB ID:	555513Click image for larger version  Name:	image.jpeg Views:	3 Size:	1.43 MB ID:	555514Click image for larger version  Name:	image.jpg Views:	2 Size:	931.8 KB ID:	555516Click image for larger version  Name:	image.jpg Views:	2 Size:	931.8 KB ID:	555520
                Attached Files
                Last edited by Danjohnston949; August 26, 2018, 09:16 AM.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                No announcement yet.
                Working...
                X
                false
                ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                false
                false
                {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                Yes
                ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here