Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

August Turkey

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

August Turkey

So, I'm getting ready to smoke a turkey on Sunday. Following the guide for the Ultimate Turkey and note the caution not to brine if it has already been injected. The label on the turkey says "Containing up to 9.5% solution of turkey broth, salt, and sodium phosphate." Is this solution amount sufficient or should I still consider dry brining with just less salt?

i don't know the answer but you could cut off a small piece and cook it in a pan to find out

Comment

I just posted a cook last month where I got a free turkey with the exact same injection noted. Since I normally get fresh turkeys I had the same question as you. I don’t dry brine but wet brine so I went ahead and did so anyway. Brine had a cup of salt in it. Turkey turned out just fine, no hint of over salting.

i would go ahead and dry brine, turkeys have a lot of thick meat that can take quite a bit of salt. That’s what I’d do, others may disagree.

Comment

I would agree. A light brine is probably fine. I don’t think you will over salt.

Comment

Yup, light brine & I dry brine mine,usually 48 hrs, comes out fine. We don’t have source for fresh near here that I know of, so they are all frozen.

Notice that you’ve been a member for a year & a half & first post. Welcome aboard, eat good & have fun with that turkey!

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
          No announcement yet.
          Working...
          X
          false
          ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
          false
          false
          {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
          Yes
          ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
          /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here