Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How are you gonna WING it Sunday?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How are you gonna WING it Sunday?

So as you may or may not know. Sunday July 29 is National Chicken Wing day.

My question to you is:
    1 are you gonna be making wings?
    2 if so, how are you going to cook them and
    3 what rubs and or sauces are you going to be using.

Lets see how many variations we can come up with.
    And Happy Wing Day all.

I might be able to squeeze some in. I have ribs to cook for the shop, still waiting for the final number on how many

Comment

• customtrim
      customtrim commented
      Editing a comment
      Of course if I go get the 26 by Saturday I could use the 22 for wings before I put it up for sale

Where do y'all buy your wings, and what brands do you like best?

Comment

• HouseHomey
      HouseHomey commented
      Editing a comment
      I buy mine in fresh packs approx 4-6lbs per pack @$2.58lbs. I cut off the wing tip for the stock pot and separate the mid section from the Drumette. I buy the at Smart and Final, a regional chain here.

• customtrim
      customtrim commented
      Editing a comment
      Huskee GFS will put them on sale for 1.99 lb, let's i have seen as low as 49 cents lb

• texastweeter
      texastweeter commented
      Editing a comment
      the ones i buy have no flappers in them, and the wingette and drumette are already seperated. All i do is drop them straingt into the fryer at 355 degrees for 15 minutes, removand drain, then toss them in sauce.

1 Definitely
    2 First time in a kettle (only ever done them in my gas vertical)
    3 Try Henrik rub mentioned in his "wang" post

Comment

• Henrik
      Henrik commented
      Editing a comment
      Cool! Wings turn out great in the kettle, and I think you're gonna like that rub. Take photos!

I didn't know this. I will make some wings.

Comment

I just realized that I didn’t say what I’m doing for Sunday.
      Well wings of course.
      1 traditional deep fried
      2 dry rubbed on KJ jr.
      3 smoked on the BGE @225* than deep fried.
      4 smoked on the BGE and grilled on the KJ jr. since that will be running around 375-400* already.
      Getting ready.
      The clear jar contains Carolina Reaper dust and the wing sauce on the left is one my cousin’s husband makes. Probably the best I’ve ever tasted. Click image for larger version

Name:	EAACB2FE-5682-4FA2-963B-38B3262AA094.jpeg
Views:	146
Size:	93.1 KB
ID:	538362Click image for larger version

Name:	11F7BCC0-0E9C-416C-BC89-D056AC1B3964.jpeg
Views:	188
Size:	95.6 KB
ID:	538361

Comment

• Spinaker
        Spinaker commented
        Editing a comment
        Not joking, that sauce Steve has, is the best wings sauce ever! Thanks again for a great meal Steve!

• Steve B
        Steve B commented
        Editing a comment
        Absolutely my pleasure Spinaker We need to do that again.

• shify
        shify commented
        Editing a comment
        Awesome. I’ve smoked a lot of wings and so far have finished over direct heat on the grill but have been meaning to try a deep fry step post-smoke. Can’t wait for pics.

Something like this. All on the pellet.

Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_20180726_134321.jpg Views:	1 Size:	82.7 KB ID:	538376

Comment

• HouseHomey
        HouseHomey commented
        Editing a comment
        What no fresh ginger juice?

Great thread Steve!!!!

I think I will grab some Large chicken wings. (I love the ones from Smart Chicken.) I place them on a wire rack, uncovered with salt, over night. Then I will smoke them on the KBQ, full tilt until about 150 F internal, then I will drop them in the Lodge Wok for a good old fashioned deep fry!. Not sure what rub I am going to use though. Although I did just buy some new Chili Lime rub from Oak Ridge BBQ.

Steve, we gotta figure out how you can get me some of that sauce, brother!!!!!!

Comment

• nsbbqguy
        nsbbqguy commented
        Editing a comment
        The next oak ridge order I put in is going to have there new Chile lime rub in it. It looks so good!

• Spinaker
        Spinaker commented
        Editing a comment
        Yeah, the smell is amazing too. I can't wait to try it, this weekend!

• JCGrill
        JCGrill commented
        Editing a comment
        Smart Chicken is pretty good. I buy a lot of wings from a local farmer, but they aren't cheap.

Just did chicken and turkey in rotation, we’re burnt on poultry....gonna do a rump roast. Have fun, maybe I’ll let you guys be my "wing men"

Comment

• texastweeter
        texastweeter commented
        Editing a comment
        DO GATOR WINGS!!! Yes that is a real thing (from the forearm of a gator) and they are GREAT! SWAMP CHICKEN FTW!!!

Wow over 16000 members with over 3000 active and only a handful are cooking wings this weekend

Comment

• Steve B
        Steve B commented
        Editing a comment
        That’s what I’m saying. I thought there would be more response than this??

• JGo37
        JGo37 commented
        Editing a comment
        I would have, had I known. I guess I'm cooking 4, but they're attached to two Cornish hens.

I jumped the gun last sunday with wings. Did oven baked wings, half with buffalo sauce (melted butter and Franks - maybe 2 Tbs butter to a 1/4 cup hot sauce) and half with a honey sriracha sauce (honey, sriracha and soy sauce). Won’t have time to make any more this Sunday

Comment

• adamjs83
        adamjs83 commented
        Editing a comment
        Love this method.

I seasoned up some fresh wings purchased at Costco and then vacuum packed them - I like the seasoning in link below... we also had this seasoning on a nice chunk of halibut the other night and it was great. I won't prepare this Sunday, but will take on trailer outing (along with my Rec Tec Trailblazer) the following Sunday.

Marinate this Asian dry rub chicken overnight and all you need is 30 minutes in the oven the next day! The secret of this oven baked dry rub chicken recipe is the use of ginger powder and sand ginger powder in the dry rub, so before you ask, don’t think about leaving these two ingredients out!

Comment

Lemon-pepper wings.

Marinade in milk and a bit of lemon juice (poor man's buttermilk) for a couple of hours. Place on a cooling rack on a cookie sheet and bake for 30 minutes at 350F, turning them over after 15 minutes. Bump the heat to 425F and bake for another 5 minutes on each side to crisp the skin. Brush with a sauce made with lemon juice, honey, brown mustard, vinegar and a dash (or three) of hot sauce. Sprinkle with lemon-pepper seasoning and cayenne. Bake for another 5 minutes on each side to set the sauce.

Adjust as desired along the way.

Comment

• texastweeter
          texastweeter commented
          Editing a comment
          Try pickle juice for the marinade. Fantastic.

• boftx
          boftx commented
          Editing a comment
          I save the juice from pickles I buy at the store for just that reason, but I would suggest sweet pickle juice instead of dill in this case. The lemon juice and lemon pepper has more than enough sour flavor.

• HouseHomey
          HouseHomey commented
          Editing a comment
          Love the lemon and milk. I do that with fried s chicken. Great sauce!

1) Yes
        2) Deep Fried
        3)Zatarans Hot Sauce, Salted Butter, & Pepper

Comment

Hmmmmmm I may just have to do the stuffed wings again on Sunday that I did last night!

Comment

• customtrim
            customtrim commented
            Editing a comment
            Picture of them

• nsbbqguy
            nsbbqguy commented
            Editing a comment
            I just made a post about them. Check it out! They are awesome!

• customtrim
            customtrim commented
            Editing a comment
            Thanks

Announcement

Collapse
        No announcement yet.
        Working...
        X
        false
        ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
        false
        false
        {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
        Yes
        ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
        /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here