Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Best way to cook an entire chicken...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Best way to cook an entire chicken...

So this might seem broad but I'm competing with my wife for the opportunity to roast whole chickens...she does them at 425 in the oven and gets a nice crisp skin and nice meat. I do them on the grill (kamado) at 325 over indirect for about 2 hours and get a nice smokey flavor and juicy meat but the skin really does not match hers as far as crispiness. Any tips on getting the crisp? Switch to direct heat after the roast?

See the responses you’ve gotten in this post:

Try that first and see how it works out.

Comment

Cook hot and fast. That is at 425, just like your wife does. Add the wood right when you throw the chicken on and make sure the Kamado is heat soaked and ready to radiate that heat down from the dome. You will have crispy crispy skin! Remember, your kamado is nothing more than a wonderful outdoor oven.

Comment

And dry brine in open air in the fridge overnight, put some vegetable oil between the skin and meat, and oil or butter on the outside. Avoid anything with moisture near the skin (yeah, I know that contradicts the butter statement).

Using a kamado, I bring it up to 450F then put the chicken in, and throttle it down to 350. It works.

I tend to spatchcock them.
        Last edited by EdF; July 25, 2018, 02:24 PM.

Comment

I did one yesterday at 400 in my BGE. Came out great.

Comment

Good info in the other thread. I use a Weber kettle, and run it as hot as it will go to get crisp skin. I also dry brine overnight. If you want a butter flavor, use ghee - not butter because butter is about 15% water. Separating the skin from the meat also helps with crisping the skin. Just make sure it remains attached around the edges or it will shrink to tiny.

Comment

• EdF
              EdF commented
              Editing a comment
              Great thinking! Why didn't I think of that?

High heat, 400+ as was mentioned. I like to spray the bird with Pam, it’s essentially canola so it takes the heat and helps crisp the skin.

Comment

Cook it entirely. 👀

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
              No announcement yet.
              Working...
              X
              false
              ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
              false
              false
              {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
              Yes
              ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
              /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here