Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Chicken thighs question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Chicken thighs question

I am planning to make bone-in chicken thighs - either jerk or with Wartface/Chef John's Mongolian Marinade. I want to cook them low and slow (about 275°F) to near doneness (~150°F) and then finish on a hot gas grill to caramelize/crisp the skin. They will be the regular, 1 bone thighs that you get in a package in the supermarket. My question is about timing. Since I don't think the Mav hybrid probe will be much use on such small pieces, does anybody have a suggestion for how long it will take them to get to the 150°F level at 275°F smoker temp? I'm just looking for a guideline. I know there are lots of variables. Thanks for any suggestions.

DEW
    Last edited by Dewesq55; January 17, 2015, 02:07 PM. Reason: to correct typos.

It's a guess... 1 hour? Get the Thermo works out and tell us!

Comment

Thanks. That sounds like a fair guess for starters. I for sure will let you know what occurs. I was just looking for some advice. I love to cook, but standing over the smoker to test temps every 30 mins is not in the cards for tomorrow. I should even have my new Lavaworks Thermowand by the time I'm ready tomorrow.

DEW

Comment

• smarkley
        smarkley commented
        Editing a comment
        you could just plug your 733 foood probe into one of the thighs and let it do the work

• Dewesq55
        Dewesq55 commented
        Editing a comment
        Yeah, as I indicated in my original post, I'm not sure how effective/accurate that will be with such a small piece of meat, but I will probably do it anyway.

DEW I use my Mav probes in thighs all the time, just aim for what looks like a central spot. If nothing else it at least gives you some sort of buffer to know when to start spot checking with an instant read. I never cook w/o the Mav probes in. But if had to guess, I'd say 45min to 1hr.

Comment

• Dewesq55
        Dewesq55 commented
        Editing a comment
        That was the plan, Huskee. But thanks for the benefit of your experience.

When it comes to chicken I'm going to listen to Huskee. Trust me he is the chicken man

Comment

• Dewesq55
        Dewesq55 commented
        Editing a comment
        And here I thought he was the butt man, DW?

• Huskee
        Huskee commented
        Editing a comment
        Butts, breasts, legs, thighs..you know, we all have our preferences.

• Dewesq55
        Dewesq55 commented
        Editing a comment
        True dat!

Announcement

Collapse
    No announcement yet.
    Working...
    X
    false
    ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
    false
    false
    {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
    Yes
    ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
    /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here