Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

While we are talking chicken. Please help me pick.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

While we are talking chicken. Please help me pick.

Alright. I just spatchcocked and dry brined two fryer for tomorrows cook. One will be for my focus groups dinner and one will be for chicken salad. You all tell me how I should do em.

Option 1: kettle: If this wins I'll figure out how to do both at once

Option 2: WSM

Option 3: one each.

Thanks in advance for your vote.

edit:
    Its just in fun. Throw it out there. Or give me a challenge. : )
    Last edited by Jon Solberg; January 10, 2015, 07:27 PM.

Its all just for fun. Really dont be scared. just sayin hehehehe

Comment

WSM, one breast down the other breast up.

Comment

• Jon Solberg
        Jon Solberg commented
        Editing a comment
        didnt see that comin.... good one

Kettle, one breast down and the other breast up

Comment

How do we tell how much juice obviously pools in the breast? Seems if that were true then it would lose less weight than the other.

Comment

Missing something,..,. Where is the NEW TOPIC button? Harry Soo seminar has a faulty link.
          Thanks,.,

Comment

• _John_
            _John_ commented
            Editing a comment
            If you click The Pit tab up top, then pick an area to post and click that, then you should see the New Topic.

• MadJack
            MadJack commented
            Editing a comment
            Thanks John.

Originally posted by John View Post
          How do we tell how much juice obviously pools in the breast? Seems if that were true then it would lose less weight than the other.

WTH....

Comment

I say beer can chicken on both. 16 ounce cans of Old Milwaukee Light. Don't open the beer cans at all. Rub down the cans with clarified butter, after inserting in the bird (good luck with that).

Cook to 195 internal, or until "Ernest like skin" literally pops off the bird onto the grates.

You'll thank me later.

Comment

• W.A.
              W.A. commented
              Editing a comment
              Reminds me of Imus in the morning when someone on his radio show used to play Wilfred Brimily /Quaker Oats / stuffing a turkey skits.

Originally posted by Jerod Broussard View Post
            I say beer can chicken on both. 16 ounce cans of Old Milwaukee Light. Don't open the beer cans at all. Rub down the cans with clarified butter, after inserting in the bird (good luck with that).

Cook to 195 internal, or until "Ernest like skin" literally pops off the bird onto the grates.

You'll thank me later.

Well so much for asking for intelligent input

Comment

• Jerod Broussard
              Jerod Broussard commented
              Editing a comment
              If it ain't in the Pit Barrel it's not intelligent

• Jon Solberg
              Jon Solberg commented
              Editing a comment
              Your right. I have never cooked in a wastebasket. I know not of what I speak ; )

• Jerod Broussard
              Editing a comment
              Trash burning barrel hehehehe

One each

Comment

I really like Jerod's idea here. But might I add- let it come to room temp first. Cook it until the juices are no longer pink. Push it until it feels like the heel of your hand. Only salt the top, salt wont travel up against gravity. Only smoke it for one hour, by then the smoke will have penetrated all the way down to the bone and it won't absorb any more. Thermometers are for sissies, real men take a chance on salmonella or dry meat, builds character and the ladies will flock to your door. Don't even think about having a Ford parked in your driveway while you're doing this, it will ruin everything because we all know they are just terrible vehicles and give off bad vibes.

Now that we have all those important facts settled, I look forward to your cook.

Comment

• Powersmoke_80
                Powersmoke_80 commented
                Editing a comment
                Its all good Huskee!

• DWCowles
                DWCowles commented
                Editing a comment
                And I thought we were friends, Huskee

• Huskee
                Huskee commented
                Editing a comment
                Sorry DWC. I meant to say, uh, Toyota...yeah, Toyota.

My only suggestion would be to use pecan - it has become my favorite wood for smoking chicken.

We also like a light dusting of Tony Chachere's, but maybe try some HRR if you have some on one -- I have yet to try it, but it looked great in Aaron's pics.

Comment

• Jon Solberg
                Jon Solberg commented
                Editing a comment
                Pecan and cherry are my go to's for sure.

Jon do you want to borrow a pellet grill and impress your focus group for going outside the box and serving an incredible tasting chicken! LOL

Comment

• Jerod Broussard
                Editing a comment
                That sounds interesting, I hear you don't need a beer can pushed all the way up to the interclavicular cavity if you have a pellet grill.

Im thinking this will be a deep fried beer can rested to room temp chicken over an open fire of pressure treated.

got to check my oil temp. 1 mississippi, 2 mississ....

Comment

• Jerod Broussard
                Editing a comment
                Cherry would is the bomb......can't wait to get some them chunks above a vortex with chicken parts all around....

Jon, show your stones dry brine unrefrigerated three days serve tar-tar style with a good white zin show them what real men are made of and what the he$l is a focus group?

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
              No announcement yet.
              Working...
              X
              false
              ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
              false
              false
              {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
              Yes
              ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
              /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here