Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Help with Chicken Thighs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Help with Chicken Thighs

Plan to grill some bone-in/skin-on Chicken thighs this weekend on a propane grill for the first time. I am hoping for any advice from this always helpful forum. Thanks in advance!!

Rob with Simon and Garfunkel you can get the recipe on this website cook thighs chicken 325 to Internal temperature 180 I can smell them from here

Comment

Dry brine on rack over pan in frig for at least a few hours. Helps crisp the skin.

Comment

Be sure to setup your gasser 2 zone. Crank up one side high heat and have your thighs on the other. As they approach being done you can reverse sear for a few minutes to get that final crisp up! Show us the result !!

Comment

Agree with Troutman. You need high heat for the skin, but be really careful when you sear as they burn easily.

Comment

All great advice. You can even let the chicken dry brine overnight uncovered. Help even more.

Comment

While chicken is safe at 165, you may find it more palatable to take thighs (and legs) up higher or they can still be kinda slimy in texture. IMO 180 is a great temp for them like Fire Art says above.

Comment

If you try to brown or crisp up the skin over high heat on a gasser, do not turn you back even for a second. Nothing flares up like chicken fat on a hot gas flame.

Comment

Baking powder on the skin with the rub is said to enhance crispness.

Comment

ABC BBQ has a great video for chicken thighs. used the method myself a few times and its awesome.

Comment

I have had good luck cooking chicken thighs on my Napoleon gas grill, I do it indirect and I run the grill between 350 - 400F with one burner, the chicken comes out great with crispy skin. I have also used Meatheads LT Italian salad dressing as a marinade which is also very good on chicken. I dry brine them ahead of time.

Comment

Ive been on a big chicken thigh kick as of late. The day before i pull the skin up so its only attached on one side and trim any excess fat. Then I dry brine and fold skin back over and wrap it all the way around the bottom and put in fridge on wire rack uncovered over night. Next day I rub with memphis dust and offset cook to 150. I then reverse sear and crisp up the skin then put back on offset side and glaze with sweet bbq for 20 min.
                        Click image for larger version

Name:	20180430_181010.jpg
Views:	994
Size:	115.4 KB
ID:	502246 tThere's a pic of a recent finished product. Plus a couple of tenderloins.

Comment

• Dewesq55
                          Dewesq55 commented
                          Editing a comment
                          I am doing this as I type (or at least a close proximity.) I had no time to brine in advance. I seasoned the thighs with S&P, Chipotle powder (liberal) then Memphis Dust (VERY liberal). Having trouble with getting the grill to stay very far above 300, though. When they reach temp, I will coat them with my Barrister DEW's Rum Molasses BBQ Sauce and sizzle them over direct heat to caramelized it.

Thanks for all the expert advice. I utilized a combination of all the comments received and they turned out great!! Thanks again!!
                        Attached Files

Comment

• fzxdoc
                          fzxdoc commented
                          Editing a comment
                          They look like they were really juicy. Let us know the method you used. Congrats on that cook!

Kathryn

• Jmccloskey659
                          Jmccloskey659 commented
                          Editing a comment
                          Used some BBQSPOT "Rub Some Chicken" rub and heated grill to 350 degrees. Placed thighs on indirect side to 165 degrees internal. Seared each side over direct heat for 1 minute each side. Removed and brushed some Sweet Baby Ray's Honey Chipotle BBQ sauce on skin side. Placed back on indirect side for 5 - 10 minutes without turning and removed then served.

• Jmccloskey659
                          Jmccloskey659 commented
                          Editing a comment
                          I'm no professional for sure, however the guidance I receive from this group gets me closer every time...thanks all!!!

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20180520_192553-1209x1612.jpg
Views:	989
Size:	127.9 KB
ID:	502753

Comment

• FireMan
                          FireMan commented
                          Editing a comment
                          Dewes dude, they look marvelous!

• fzxdoc
                          fzxdoc commented
                          Editing a comment
                          Ohmigosh, they look so delicious.
                          Kathryn

Now I’m hungry

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                        No announcement yet.
                        Working...
                        X
                        false
                        ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                        false
                        false
                        {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                        Yes
                        ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                        /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here