Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Smoking Boneless Turkey Breast Roast Suggestions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Smoking Boneless Turkey Breast Roast Suggestions

I plan on smoking a 3# butterball turkey breast roast and have a couple of questions for any who have had success:
    1. Wet Brine, Dry Brine, No Brine?, 2. Planning on using Memphis Dust - good idea, not so good idea?, 3. Temp?. 4. Wood type - I'm planning on using apple but should I use something else? I appreciate any help. Thank you.

Welcome to The Pit!

My advice:
    Wet brine 2-3hrs in 1 gallon water, 1 Cup salt, 1 Cup sugar. If a half gallon covers the bird, halve the sugar & salt amounts too, but keep the soak time 2-3hrs at least. Dry brine will work and is less messy & wasteful, but I believe a wet brine works a little better with poultry and pork loins/chops.

Cook at 325-340 if using MMD. Temps much over 350 can scorch the sugar. If you do the same process with more of an herbal rub, you can cook higher if you like (350-375).

Take it to 155 max in the coolest spot, as measured by a good digital thermometer.

Apple will work wonderful. Many wood types will work fine, the sky's the limit.

Comment

thank you for your help

Comment

I smoked a turkey breast for Christmas, did a simple wet brine over night, rubbed it with kickin chicken, on and under the skin, smoked it with hickory and lump coal,I think it was 5 hours or so at 275, family says I’m in charge of turkey from now on!

Comment

Welcome to The Pit

Comment

Jackson Wyoming welcome

Comment

I have been doing an overnight dry brine (salt) with great results. I season with a home made poultry rub and cook at 325 until temp hits 160.

Comment

Check the label carefully as butterball turkey might already be brined. Much as I love MMD, I prefer something more like the Simon and Garfunkel rub on poultry.

Comment

Welcome mhollowell

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                  No announcement yet.
                  Working...
                  X
                  false
                  ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                  false
                  false
                  {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                  Yes
                  ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                  /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here