Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Spatchcock chicken breast down?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Spatchcock chicken breast down?

What about spatchcock chicken cooked breast down? Anyone have any experience to share with that method? I’m cooking on a GMG Daniel Boone Pellet grill. I like the spatchcock method but find the breast almost dry and wondered if cooking it breast down would matter. Open to any suggestions for other methods. Thanks!

I'm not sure how the pellet poopers cook but you can try to cover the breast with foil. Breast side down may keep your skin wet which doesn't bother me all that much but most people want crisp skin.

with foil you can cover then remove it to finish as the dark meat comes up to temp. Are you temping the breast with a leavin thermometer? How far apart are the white and dark meat?

Comment

• awfurman4
      awfurman4 commented
      Editing a comment
      I monitor the temp with a TP-20. The dark meat is probably 15 degrees hotter at least but the dark meat always turns out great. The white meat is pretty good, it’s just on that line between moist and about to dry out if you know what I mean. I wasn’t sure if cooking it upside down mattered. I’m going to try two birds at the same time, one up and one down just to test it out.

I find on my pit boss pellet grill cook bird skin up at 300 point bird breast to back legs to front right over center thighs reach 175 pull cover rest yell at wife and ask why she not ready go to living room drink coffee holler at wife ask how much longer get plate and eat

Comment

I spatch chicken often on the Traeger. Mine, like most grills, has varying temps across the cooking surface and I arrange the bird accordingly. I run the grill at 350, leave-in probes at breast and thighs, then pull when thighs hit 165. Let it rest for 5 min or so and then divide. Works for me and always moist and tender. And always breast up.
      Last edited by CaptainMike; May 6, 2018, 10:56 AM.

Comment

I monitor the breast temp and remove when it hits 150F everywhere (probe with thermapen to make sure). It’s going to carryover and stay above 150 for 5 minutes anyway. At that time the thighs are around 175-180 which is just about right.

I dont know if flipping it over will make much difference other than ruin the skin.

Comment

• awfurman4
          awfurman4 commented
          Editing a comment
          Interesting, I have been pulling when breasts are just about 165, that’s probably the issue.

• CaptainMike
          CaptainMike commented
          Editing a comment
          Yep, when the breasts hit 145 I start planning the exit. Don't underestimate carryover cooking, especially where breast meat is concerned.

Go to page 4 of the below link and you will see that salmonella is killed instantly at 158* and above. That is for a 99.999% kill rate. You can cook to 150* for 67 seconds for the same kill rate. The problem is peoples perception - almost everyone is afraid of any pink in chicken, so you may have to experiment to see what your friends and family will tolerate. I've been cooking to 158* for several years with no ill effects and no complaints. On the contrary, I get lots of compliments on how juicy the chicken breasts are. I think I will try 157* and see how that goes over.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
        No announcement yet.
        Working...
        X
        false
        ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
        false
        false
        {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
        Yes
        ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
        /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here