Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

First time wings - Vortex for the WIN!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

First time wings - Vortex for the WIN!

I've never cooked wings before, but the time had come. I was saving wings when I cut up chickens and had over 4 lbs. (9 chickens worth). My Vortex arrived on my doorstep Saturday night, so Sunday evening I was firing up the Weber 26.

Let me just say, the Vortex is insane in the amount of heat it puts out. Once the coals got hot and I put the lid on with vent wide open to get up to temp, I went inside to get the wings, and within just a few minutes the thermometer was pegged above 600 F. And it works - that whole idea about the Vortex creating convection. I could hear those wings sizzling away inside. A couple chunks of wood for smoke, and we got great color, amazing flavor, and super crispy skin.

Everybody wanted a different sauce, so to avoid controversy the only prep I did was a sprinkle of salt and a light brushing of oil. Before that the wings were on a rack in the fridge for about 3 hours to get the skin nice and dry. For myself, I made authentic buffalo sauce with butter and Franks. We had a couple kinds of BBQ sauce, and one person who ate them dry. Everyone loved them.

The Vortex and all the good advice here and on YT made me look like an expert on my first time out of the chute.

The pic was take the first time I flipped them and right before I remembered to put the wood chunks on - after about 10 minutes. I flipped them 3 more times at about 10-5-5 minutes apart. Didn't time it, so I'm just guessing.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20180422_190339.jpg
Views:	191
Size:	142.5 KB
ID:	488070

Lookin' good! I think the Vortex is a perfect match for cooking wings like this, good job!

Comment

That's phenomenal! I need to do some wings.... been a loooooooong time.

Comment

The Vortex is a beast. Probably the best way to cook wings aside from traditional deep fried.
        They look awesome....

Comment

Great job. I need to try this too.

Comment

Great cook! Wings like this are exactly why I have a Vortex!

Comment

+1 on the vortex for wings. Great job.

Comment

Wow

Comment

I love cooking chicken wings or drumsticks with the Vortex.

Comment

There’s lots of vortex copycats. Link to the best/original one?

Comment

• radshop
                      radshop commented
                      Editing a comment
                      Got mine on Amazon. I'm pretty sure it's the real thing.

• Pirate Scott
                      Pirate Scott commented
                      Editing a comment
                      Polarbear777 I got mine from Owens Bbq, they send free rub with it. It is the Real Deal. The rub is awesome too!

Big Poppa cares the original....

Vortex

Vortex Website

Comment

Looking at the discoloration of the grate this morning, it clearly won't hold up to the Vortex too many times. Well, the David Parrish team has the stainless upgrade. Would have gotten one eventually anyway, so here goes...

Comment

• Spinaker
                        Spinaker commented
                        Editing a comment
                        The stainless one will discolor too. Nothing you can do about that when it goes under such heat.

• radshop
                        radshop commented
                        Editing a comment
                        I'm not so concerned about the color, but I actually was mistaken. I thought the stock grate was plated steel, but it's stainless. So I don't have to worry about the plating peeling off. But I'll still be getting the easy spin.

The Vortex is a wing cooking machine. I love using mine for wings in the BKK. That baby really rips!

Comment

Love mine for wings and steaks too. It has not come out of the Weber since I bought it.

Comment

Man oh man. Why do you guys have to show me another Weber kettle accessory! And here I thought my SNS and DNG were the do all end all...

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                          No announcement yet.
                          Working...
                          X
                          false
                          ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                          false
                          false
                          {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                          Yes
                          ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                          /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here