Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Dry Brine Chicken

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Dry Brine Chicken

Cooking some whole chickens this weekend. 5 lbs each. I have never dry brined them and was gonna try it. Any thoughts or rub recipies appreciated.

Huskee he is the chicken King

Comment

Cavanders, or salt and pepper, or bbq rub, or or or

so many ways to go! Have fun!

Comment

Dry brine then use Simon and Garfunkel rub - recipe on the free side.

Comment

Dry brine for 24 hours uncovered on a rack in the fridge. Simon and Garfunkel with a little American Chili Powder if you want some heat. American Chili Powder on the free side too.

Comment

• EdF
            EdF commented
            Editing a comment
            What he said. And if you want to get fancy, rub some olive oil under the skin for extra crispiness.

Dry brine them in the fridge, uncovered. I like to use a wire rack to elevate it above an aluminum baking sheet. Allow them to sit over night, uncovered. Then add S&G rub just before the cook. Make sure to get under the skin too! Cook at 375 F -400 F. Hot and fast.

Comment

You can also use Memphis dust or any other rib rub that doesn’t contain salt.

You can always just pick up a rub at the store too that will probably contain salt so don’t use salt to dry brine and instead just use the rub as the brine... personally there are a couple of McCormicks seasons that are pretty good and a couple of Weber ones that we like as well. Pit Barrel Cookers All Purpose rub is great in chicken. Sometimes I like to just use Tony’s Cajun Rub...

All depends on what flavor profile YOU want: heat, sweet, herby, etc...

Comment

Not much to offer that hasn't been said. I prefer to wet brine chicken myself, but that's not helpful if you want to dry brine.

Comment

If you can find it, Oak Ridge BBQ's Secret Weapon is outstanding on chicken

Comment

• Spinaker
                  Spinaker commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Yes it is

Same comment that Spinaker made on the dry brining. Get it elevated and into the fridg after a good salting with kosher salt over night Be sure to get as much as you can under the skin. At that point your chicken should look something like this, ready for whatever rub you choose (I'm not going there). Also, when ready to cook, crank up the heat to 325-350* for crispy skin.

Click image for larger version

Name:	chicken skin 02.jpg
Views:	302
Size:	87.4 KB
ID:	471169

Comment

• EdF
                  EdF commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Yeah, that looks familiar! ;-)

Thanks a bunch. I had some of those thoughts you guys confirmed them. I will post some pictures if I get a chance. Snow coming tomorrow, gonna have to postpone till Sunday!

Comment

• HouseHomey
                  HouseHomey commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Slap that bad boy in the oven and get another one for the grill.

Salted and stuck in the fridge last night, saved it for my mother in law tonight. I like to cut them in half to fit in my box cooker easier!! Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20180327_180520443.jpg
Views:	308
Size:	70.5 KB
ID:	473794

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                No announcement yet.
                Working...
                X
                false
                ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                false
                false
                {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                Yes
                ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here