Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Looking for recomendations for defrosting a turkey?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Looking for recomendations for defrosting a turkey?

So, I have a last minute dinner on Saturday and have an 11 pound turkey that I'd like to cook. I've only used fresh turkey and have never cooked a frozen one.

Any recommendations here on defrosting?

If you have the refrigerator space, put the (still wrapped) turkey in a 5 gallon bucket of water and place it in the fridge.

Comment

Put it in a cooler with water and ice.

Comment

I would suggest using your x ray vision to warm it up. UP, up and away!!!!!!!!

Comment

• vandy
          vandy commented
          Editing a comment
          Laughing out loud!!!

• Steve B
          Steve B commented
          Editing a comment
          Ha my first thought was to wrap in aluminum foil, stuff it into the microwave oven and go full throttle. Whoohoo 😂

It's only 11 lbs. Its Wednesday. Put it in the fridge, NOW. Higher self the better. By Its going to be close.

Open it up Saturday and get the giblets out. There may still be some ice in the cavity. Use running water and get that ice out of it. Be ready to go straight on the cooker with it from there.

Comment

• EdF
          EdF commented
          Editing a comment
          That was pretty much my Thanksgiving turkey this year. If it's still partly frozen inside, it will cook, but take a bit longer. I'd also recommend dry-brining it right away and leaving it uncovered in the fridge. But that's a matter of taste.

• texastweeter
          texastweeter commented
          Editing a comment
          unless your fridge is like mine and the quick chill shelf is the top one that vents from the freezer (makes no thermodynamic sense...thank you kitchenaid). but john has it right. BTW after day two the top will be thaw enough usually to go ahead and dry brine. all that time in the fridge uncovered will dry the skin well and make it crispy

Here's some hope for you (14 lbs, same amount of defrosting time):

Click image for larger version  Name:	20171123_170046.jpg Views:	1 Size:	3.26 MB ID:	434009

Comment

• EdF
          EdF commented
          Editing a comment
          texastweeter you know that wasn't done without some "craftsmanship"!

• texastweeter
          texastweeter commented
          Editing a comment
          so I'm looking for a "craftsmanship frozen turkey"... Check. Otw to the local Brookshires now.

• EdF
          EdF commented
          Editing a comment
          Lol!

Announcement

Collapse
      No announcement yet.
      Working...
      X
      false
      ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
      false
      false
      {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
      Yes
      ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
      /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here