Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

That son of a gun wouldn’t spatch!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

That son of a gun wouldn’t spatch!

Doing a turkey, never spatchcocked before. Read the articles, watched the video. Cut the spine out, flipped that sucker and... nothing. Not even a little crack.

Now, I’m a big guy, bigger than maybe I should be, and I should be able to use that to my advantage in an instance like this. But that turkey took my best shot. But, looking at it, there’s no reason that bird needs to be all on the same plane. So the breasts are mounded up in the middle, and the drummies and wings are splayed to the sides. I guess it’s a partial spatch!

I made this Meathead Ultimate turkey last year, adapted to the indoor oven, and it was pretty Amazing. Confidence is high.

Next time use a clever if you have one, otherwise a heavy chef's knife. Center it on the keel bone from the bottom side and then smack it with a wood (or hard plastic) mallet, rolling pin or a clean piece of 2x4. Then it'll crack for ya. Enjoy!

Comment

• Mosca
      Mosca commented
      Editing a comment
      Oh yeah, that would have done it!

Show us a pic of your disfigured bird. Might help for a resolution.

Comment

I was going to suggest that you just lean on it. Works for me. Perhaps some things shouldn't be disturbed. Bad juju.

Comment

Take a sledge hammer to it. Cheers!

Comment

I’ve been there done that. I attack the breast plate/bone as well as the wishbone. That flattens her out. Otherwise the friendly persuader becomes your friend as DW suggests !

Comment

Here’s a photo at about halfway through. It’s going to be fine, I’m certain. No worries at all.

Click image for larger version

Name:	0EF82C96-AA48-4C7F-A614-B8384B1F0341.jpeg
Views:	84
Size:	253.3 KB
ID:	432810

Comment

• Steve B
              Steve B commented
              Editing a comment
              Yeah. You got this. And the gravy pan underneath. Awesome.
              I did my first gravy like that on Christmas. It was outstanding.

• FireMan
              FireMan commented
              Editing a comment
              Look at the legs on that, thunder thighs.

I heard that if you take the breast bone out first............I did my last one the same as your doing now.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
            No announcement yet.
            Working...
            X
            false
            ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
            false
            false
            {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
            Yes
            ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
            /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here