Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Turkey breast

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Turkey breast

I have a 8# turkey breast that have been tasked to smoke on my pellet smoker. According to the packaging it he's been basted with 15% of turkey broth,salt, sugar and natural flavoring.

I have no ideal how long this will take or what rub to use and to inject or not and what type.

I am thinking about using a Apple or pecan pellet. So long story short I'm looking for help.

I do unbrined TB's often. I dry brine for several hours prior to grilling, but since yours is already brined you can skip this part. Our favorite is to make up a batch of Simon and Garfunkel, slip in under the skin and rub the outside with whatever's left. Use fruitwood pellets, run the grill at 325 and cook until IT of 160. Shouldn't take more than 90 minutes or so of cook time. One note is to let it set in the fridge, uncovered, for a few hours to dry the skin a bit.

Comment

I often times will still brine these. Low salt solution and apple cider is the liquid not water. Rinse them off under cold water after brining. I usually run the stick burner around 275-300. The apple cider brine will give your skin a nice mahogany color because of the sugars in it. I also spritz with apple juice and cherry schnapps mixture. Smoked turkey breasts are a favorite around here.

Comment

I have done a couple of them on my Blaz'N. I injected with Tony Chachere's Creole Style Butter marinade - 1 oz. per lb. of meat, and used a poultry rub under the skin and on top. I ran it at 225 for 2 hours to get a little more smoke before upping it to 325 for 2 more hours until it was 168 internal - 4 hours total. The skin was crispy and the meat was juicy and tender. I used Lumberjack Competition Blend pellets - Hickory/Maple/Cherry. Good luck with your cook.

Comment

Thanks everyone. This gives me a foundation to start on.
          Merry Christmas

Comment

I agree with what the others said. But I'm not sure if your turkey breasts come with skin on or not? Either way, 300° F (-ish) is a good temp. Both apple and pecan will work great.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
            No announcement yet.
            Working...
            X
            false
            ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
            false
            false
            {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
            Yes
            ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
            /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here