Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Spatchcocking a turkey breast??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Spatchcocking a turkey breast??

Has anyone spatchcocked a turkey breast by its self?

My wife and I don’t care for the dark meat of turkeys. So I would just be wasting probably half of the bird.

So my questions are:
    1. has anyone done this with just a breast?
    2. If so, did you cook it in the oven or on a kettle or smoker of some sorts?
    3. How did it turn out? Moist,dry,bland??ect....
    4. How did you season it??

1. Yes
    2. Smoker
    3. Juicy
    4. Simon and Garfunkel

It really makes no difference, breast or whole bird. The key is that it cooks from inside and outside the rib cage.

Comment

1. Yes
      2 Kamado Joe with KJ big block charcoal and some small pieces of apple wood for added smoke flavor.
      3. Juicy
      4. Dry brined with a couple tbsp of kosher salt then seasoned with Traeger's pork and poultry rub

I also injected it with unsalted butter, it turned out great, very tender and juicy.

Comment

Many. Kettle and oven. I don't know what you mean by spatchcocking a breast though.

Comment

• Steve B
          Steve B commented
          Editing a comment
          Like you would with a whole turkey but without the legs and wings.

The idea of spatchcocking is that the bird can cook more evenly on all sides. If you are only cooking the breast, what purpose does making it lay a little flatter serve? It can already cook on all sides. Just wonderin'....
        Last edited by RonB; December 21, 2017, 02:17 PM.

Comment

• Steve B
          Steve B commented
          Editing a comment
          Now that I think about it. RonB and EdF this makes sense. The bird is open on both ends. I had in my head that one end was basically closed off. But that’s for a whole bird.
          Thanks guys.

• Steve R.
          Steve R. commented
          Editing a comment
          Same here. It's been awhile since I did just a turkey breast and I might have misremembered.

• HorseDoctor
          HorseDoctor commented
          Editing a comment
          You could split the breastbone and flatten it out some. Might cook a little quicker that way but won't make as much difference as doing the whole bird...

This was done with Slow N Sear and came out awesome

Click image for larger version

Name:	3DC2EFA4-596E-4148-BD50-2C82529C200B.jpeg
Views:	78
Size:	300.3 KB
ID:	427067Click image for larger version

Name:	B244C7F6-18C3-43C9-8E11-8DBF7684B85E.jpeg
Views:	68
Size:	310.5 KB
ID:	427068Click image for larger version

Name:	B244C7F6-18C3-43C9-8E11-8DBF7684B85E.jpeg
Views:	70
Size:	310.5 KB
ID:	427069

Comment

• RonB
          RonB commented
          Editing a comment
          They look great!

I remove wishbone pre-cook.

Comment

I usually smoke turkey breast halves. I can get more on the grill that way, or at least I tell myself that.

Kathryn

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
          No announcement yet.
          Working...
          X
          false
          ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
          false
          false
          {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
          Yes
          ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
          /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here