Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Oven Baked Turkey

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Oven Baked Turkey

Gobble Gobble, time to cook dat turkey!

My mom being the savvy spender saw that there were turkeys on sale, and was excited to tell me how inexpensive it was.

Papa bless for the season of turkeys!

She bought 2 turkeys, one was put in the freezer and the other was taken out to defrost for a couple days in the fridge.

The turkey i used was 6.2 kg's. A decent size.

I never cooked a turkey before and we rarely eat turkey.

So the smartest thing to do was to follow a recipe

Here was the recipe i followed: https://amazingribs.com/tested-recip...-recipe-easily

Result: https://imgur.com/a/QKLR0

There were more picture and videos taken by family of course.

The Cook

I had a slight problem with green mold when i rested it on the rack to air dry over night.

The top of the turkey had no problem but a few spots were present near the meat touching the cooking rack.

I used the same cooking rack that was in the oven to air dry

Maybe i just need to really dry it?

We tried using scissors to spatchcock it, our scissors really sucked and couldn't cut through the backbone bone easy.

So we brought out the cleaver and started hacking away.

It was unsightly and we really did some damage. But what's done is done.

There's one thing i didn't understand about the recipe.

What does it mean to get the rub under the skin? I got it on top of the skin but that was about it.

When we cut into the turkey, it was super moist.

Family said they have never had turkey like this before.

As expected, from such a big turkey the insides need more salt. So maybe next time i'll think about wet brining.

Everything was really tender, except for the wings. The meat inside was more dry.

I think i need to cook the wings separately, maybe tin foil it?? Or i take the turkey out and cut off the wings before i put it back in.

What do you yall think. Any suggestions?

A respectable effort my friend. Like anything else the right tools and practice make for better results.

if you didn't mention it we wouldn't have known. The turkey looks good.

now work on the things that were a struggle. The same goes for c
    chicken.

keep us posted.

Comment

• bezwong
      bezwong commented
      Editing a comment
      Thanks! I definitely will

your green color might be discoloration from the surface you are putting it on. as an experiment put down some cling wrap or wax paper or something under 1/2 the poultry next time and see if the green stuff happens again on the parts touching the rack but not on the parts touching the paper

and putting it under the skin means just that. with chicken and turkey you are usually able to work your fingers under the skin at parts and root around with some rub/oil/lemons. do a quick google search: getting under turkey skin

Comment

• HawkerXP
      HawkerXP commented
      Editing a comment
      Yes, just like DeusDingo said. Give it a try. Its not that hard to work your rub under the skin.

Yeah i'll be experimenting with that. Using some sort of paper.

I looked it up on youtube and it's what i thought it meant. Actually going under the skin like a glove.

I didn't think of doing that because it just seemed so awkward to me. Now i know

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
    No announcement yet.
    Working...
    X
    false
    ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
    false
    false
    {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
    Yes
    ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
    /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here